Retail Business Advisor
- Experience Level
General Managers, multi-unit regional managers, retail food managers and grocery business consultants: Are you interested in work that focuses on driving sales, coaching team managers, finding solutions to complex retail challenges and supporting positive social impact? Would you like to apply your business and retail expertise to supporting socially responsible, independent, and community-owned grocery stores? Are you a strong communicator with outstanding customer service?
National Co+op Grocers (NCG) is a member-owned business service cooperative providing a variety of services to retail food co-ops in 37 states. NCG helps unify food co-ops in order to optimize operational and marketing resources, strengthen purchasing power, and offer more value to food co-op shoppers everywhere.
We are seeking an energetic and experienced individual with a passion engaging one-on-one with decision makers to assess and improve the overall sustainability and growth of their businesses. This candidate will identify, recommend and help implement strategies, tools and resources to help community-owned grocery stores achieve their goals.
We support locally owned members of the community, co-ops that keep their investment dollars in the vicinity by supporting local farmers, food artisans, and other local businesses, and providing jobs for people in the area. Be a part of something great!
- Provide coaching, assistance and support to member co-op General Managers (GM) on a contract basis to achieve agreed-upon financial goals, support growth and profitability, and reduce financial and operational vulnerabilities.
- Work with corridor development teams to identify and engage with member co-ops that could benefit from direct management support to drive growth and improve financial performance.
- Provide financial analysis and assessments of retail execution of co-ops as needed.
- Create and implement individualized business improvement plans to address any existing substandard practices, stabilize financial performance, and grow sales.
- Suggest additional resources or programs based on assessments.
- Help co-ops implement recommendations as needed.
- Assist in hiring of senior staff necessary to implement recommendations.
- Help co-op managers adopt preferred retail practices and utilized NCG retail tools to support strong financial and operational performance.
- Work with boards of directors to ensure adequate GM oversight and support necessary to achieve desired results. Provide boards with counsel and market context as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in finance, management, or business administration; and/or a minimum of ten years progressively responsible management experience including financial management. An MBA or other advanced related training preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of effective finance and management techniques.
- Multi-store management experience preferred.
- Store development and store improvement experience.
- Project management experience preferred.
- Ability to mentor co-op managers (including general managers) and support their needs.
- Demonstrated ability to plan for, carry out and provide support for projects with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build consensus among diverse stakeholders.
- Experience in developing budgets.
- Experience working with boards of directors.
- Computer literacy – Outlook, Excel, Word.
- Knowledge of effective personnel policies and experience in employee engagement, change management, and improving employee relations.
- Willingness and ability to learn and grow to meet the changing requirements of the job.
Our team members are our most-valued asset; we offer a generous salary and benefits package including 4 weeks PTO at hire, medical, dental, vision, company paid Life/ Disability/ Long Term Care insurance, HSA/FSA with company contribution, a matching 401K plan with profit sharing and much more.
This position will be based in NCG’s Portland, Oregon office, and requires up to 75% business travel. Relocation assistance is available for this opportunity!
Located in the dynamic Albina and King District in NE Portland
3934 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd | Portland, OR 97212
Accessible to many modes of public transportation including bus, light rail and trolley
National Co+op Grocers (NCG), founded in 1999, is a business services cooperative for retail food co-ops located throughout the United States. We represent 147 food co-ops operating over 200 stores in 37 states with combined annual sales over $2 billion and over 1.3 million consumer-owners. NCG helps unify natural food co-ops in order to optimize operational and marketing resources, strengthen purchasing power, and ultimately offer more value to natural food co-op owners and shoppers everywhere. By providing a variety of purchasing, management, development, marketing and other services, our co-ops are able to gain many of the advantages large grocery chains enjoy, while still reflecting the unique qualities of their local communities. For a map of NCG member and associate co-ops, visit our Find-a-Co-op page. To learn more about co-ops, visit www.strongertogether.coop.
Women and minorities encouraged to apply
Apply By: November 5, 2018
More searches like this
- Accounting / Finance Agriculture / Food / Nutrition $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Portland
- Customer Service / Retail Agriculture / Food / Nutrition $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Portland
- Development / Fundraising Agriculture / Food / Nutrition $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Portland
- Executive / Senior Management Agriculture / Food / Nutrition $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Portland
- Food Service Agriculture / Food / Nutrition $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Portland