Director of Finance and Operations
- Experience Level
California State Parks Foundation
Director of Finance and Operations
San Francisco, CA (Financial District)
About the Organization:
California State Parks Foundation is a member-supported organization that protects, enhances and expands Californians’ access to the natural beauty, rich history and outstanding recreational opportunities offered by California’s state parks. http://www.calparks.org/ We believe:
- Parks are essential for health, happiness and quality of life;
- Everyone, regardless of race, socioeconomic status, language, culture or zip code, should have equitable access to the beauty and benefits of parks;
- Parks need enthusiastic and engaged supporters to thrive;
- California’s state park system contains cultural, historic and environmental treasures that must be preserved and protected;
- California deserves a state parks system that is culturally relevant, efficiently and effectively run, and adequately funded.
Reports to: Executive Director
The Director of Finance and Operations is an exempt position that provides leadership and guidance to the organization in all financial and administrative matters. This position is responsible for the budgeting, recording and reporting of financial information to external and internal constituents of the Foundation:
- Leads the annual financial planning process, including the development of the annual operating budget (~ $7 million in 2018-19).
- Oversees treasury functions including cash management, investments, and developing and maintaining banking relationships.
- Oversees the Finance Department daily and monthly activities, ensuring compliance with GAAP nonprofit standards, federal and state regulatory requirements.
- Reviews and manages internal controls, operations, processes and financial procedures to ensure integrity of the financial information and reporting. Ensures policies and procedures are reviewed and documented on a regular basis.
- Oversees contractual, legal and HR administrative functions.
- Staffs the Board’s Finance and Investment Committee and maintains good relationships with all Trustees and Advisory Trustees of the Foundation;
- Oversees annual audit and tax return preparation process
- Oversees office operations, including oversight of office equipment and general office duties; collaborates with Director of IT on office technology needs.
The Director of Finance and Operations also serves as a member of the organization’s Leadership Team, which functions as a steering committee and sounding board for organizational priorities, culture and initiatives.
Key Position Responsibilities:
Financial Leadership & Reporting:
- Work with Executive Director and directors/managers to develop annual program budgets and an integrated agency budget.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date financial records and cash flow projections.
- Track all revenue and expenditures in relation to the budget and supply monthly reports to the Executive Director and Board of Directors.
- With Grants Manager, develop and monitor budgets for government and non-government contracts and grants.
- Ensure financial management system and processes include all appropriate controls to maintain the fiscal integrity of the organization.
- Oversee the preparation of the annual audit, including solicitation of audit bids, staffing the Board’s Audit committee, and resolution of any open points. Support the staff accountant to complete all year end closing, pre-audit reconciliations, and audit field work. Review audit reports and annual tax returns.
- Maintain fiscal compliance with all government and private funding sources as well as local, state and federal agencies.
- Complete some direct finance tasks to ensure separation of accounting responsibilities.
- Accountant: monthly closing and reconciliation of accounts; monthly budget and financial report preparation; data collection of lobbying and gift expenses, payroll, cash receipts, accounts payable and general ledger functions;
- Operations Project Manager: manages fiscal sponsorships, HR onboarding and benefits orientation, and special projects.
- Office Manager: general office and administrative duties and IT consultants
- Independent consultants performing services in support of administrative and financial functions of the Foundation, as applicable.
- Review and approve monthly reconciliations and schedules;
- Review monthly expense allocations;
- Review monthly financial and budget reports;
- Oversee Human Resources by working with our HR consultant to refine and implement HR policies and processes, including those regarding recruitment, hiring, onboarding, payroll, compensation and benefits, performance evaluations, disciplinary procedures, training and professional development and exiting processes;
- Serve as resource to staff on human resource and benefit issues;
- Build an environment of openness, with attention to staff needs, development and overall staff morale;
- Review of data collection of lobbying and gift expenses and quarterly reporting to Fair Political Practices Committee (FPPC);
- Oversee risk management and insurance policies including general liability, property and equipment, and director’s and officer’s insurance.
- Maintain vendor contracts related to finance, technology, administration and facilities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS degree; CPA preferred;
- At least 5 years supervisory accounting experience; Nonprofit accounting expertise strongly preferred;
- Independent decision-maker;
- A successful track-record in setting priorities, keen analytical, critical thinking, organizational and problem-solving skills enabling sound decision-making;
- Proven success in managing and maintaining collegial and professional relationships within small office environment;
- Experience with human resources and human resource systems management is required;
- Experience with newly established non-profits and/or organizations undergoing growth and change preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement, and manage business systems and processes, including expertise in financial analysis and budget development;
- Familiarity with integrated financial and donor management systems; experience with Intacct and Salesforce software a plus;
- Familiarity with federal and state lobbying regulations, including appropriate record-keeping and reporting policies and procedures a plus;
- Excellent computer skills including proficiency with accounting, spreadsheet, and word-processing software;
- Familiarity with federal and state laws regarding lobbying and gift reporting;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Desired personal qualities include high integrity, credibility, teamwork, a commitment to the environment and passion for parks and the Foundation’s mission.
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary depends on experience. California State Parks Foundation offers a competitive benefits package, including health, dental, vision and employer 401(k) match.
The California State Parks Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for the position in accordance with San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Police Code, Article 49.
To apply, please respond the following way via email
- In the Subject line of the email put your Last name and CSPF.
- Email in separate word documents, your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com
- Include your LinkedIn profile URL.
- Applications will be accepted until 10/15/18.
By applying for this position, you agree that you have read the Job Description and this notice: All applicants will be considered. Only those whose skills and experience most closely fit the requirements will be contacted. If you do not hear from us, we will keep your resume on file. We will not release your resume or contact information without your permission. Your candidacy will be held in the strictest confidence. Thank you. www.janssenrecruiting.com