- Experience Level
OVERVIEW: Jewish Federation of Greater Atlanta is continuing to build a diverse team of highly motivated and qualified individuals to create a new model of 21st century community of philanthropy and engagement. Federation seeks candidates who are forward-thinking, motivated, have a positive attitude, and thrive in an inclusive, dynamic environment. Federation is committed to developing and supporting its employees through professional development, excellent insurance and retirement benefits, generous PTO, free parking in Midtown, and more.
PRINCIPAL FUNCTION: The Assistant Controller will lead day-to-day accounting operations for the Federation, Atlanta Jewish Foundation and community Health Insurance Trust. This position will supervise an accounting team and ensure the accurate and timely recording of all financial transactions to support donors, internal departments, and external users of financial data. The Assistant Controller will continually strive for Operational Excellence in the performance of the department’s tasks and the quality of the financial records and will provide superior internal and external customer service. The Assistant Controller reports to the Controller and works closely with the CFO/CAO.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Accounting / Financial Reporting
- Maintain accurate accounting records for Federation, the Foundation, and the Health and Welfare Trust in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles
- Prepare timely accurate financial statement for internal and external users
- Ensure all donations (credit card, check, and stock) are recorded accurately and timely to allow quick acknowledgement of gifts and meet donors’ needs for the Foundation
- Review and post month-end journal entries
- Propose and implement solutions to reduce monthly closing time to 5 business days
- Maintain internal controls and safeguards to ensure highest standards of integrity and minimize risk
- Maintain inventory of physical assets and depreciation schedules
- Assist leadership in the annual budget and quarterly forecast process as needed
- Oversee audit and tax schedule preparation for Federation, Foundation, and Health and Welfare Trust.
- Oversee cash management; propose recommendations for improvement to Controller and CFO
- Ensure all Federation financial policies and procedures are being followed; make recommendations for new policies or adjustments to current ones as needed
- Review monthly account reconciliations to ensure accuracy and timely resolution of reconciling items
- Review general ledger and financial reports for accuracy, identify and research and document any variances
- Monitor Unapplied account reconciliation closely and oversee continuous resolution of unidentified payments
- Identify and implement strategies to integrate current internal systems to reduce inefficient processes
- Prepare financial schedules for grant applications and grant payments and activity
- Ensure adherence to internal control policies
- Provide proper supervision and professional development for all accounting department staff
Internal and External Customer Service
- Provide superior customer service, communication, and quick response time to internal and external customers
- Gather financial reports and data for Board, Finance & Administration meetings, and Federation leadership as needed
- Collaborate with all departments to ensure financial information from upcoming events, activities, and any new systems will efficiently and accurately consolidate with current accounting processes and systems
- Provide support and training to other departments’ staff as needed
- Develop positive relationships with colleagues, donors, and lay leadership
- Maintain the confidentiality of all donor information
- Analyze and re-engineer business processes to continually improve efficiency and accuracy
- Promote the mission of Federation at all times through superior customer service to internal and external customers and the efficient care and use of all resources
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree, CPA, and minimum of 5 years’ experience in accounting and financial reporting required. Supervisory experience required. Public accounting or nonprofit accounting strongly preferred. Experience with Abila MIP a plus. Strong problem-solving skills to identify challenges and recommend and implement solutions. Excellent verbal and written communication skills required
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Intermittent periods of standing and walking with extended periods of sitting. Must have excellent visual acuity for work with systems and records. Position requires average hearing and verbal ability to communicate with Federation staff, donors, volunteers, vendors, and others. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to ten pounds.
* Jewish Federation of Greater Atlanta is an equal opportunity employer.