- Experience Level
NOTE: COVER LETTER required in addition to resume.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: The Executive Director is responsible for leading the Eugene Mission within the context of the mission, vision, values, goals and policies of the organization as established by the Board of Directors. Providing leadership, the Executive Director works with the Board to establish the strategic direction for the organization and to raise the resources needed to create and maintain a “Wellness Center for the Homeless of Lane County.” This includes creating sustainable programs that work towards the goal of ending the homelessness cycle for every guest who stays at the Mission, as well as providing basic necessities for those who use day services. The Executive Director will provide the oversight of the organization’s operational functions ensuring compliance with legal and financial standards and will promote and maintain a supportive, Christ-focused culture among Mission staff. The Executive Director is responsible for establishing the strategic plan, fundraising and marketing plan; ensuring that the staff and Board of Directors are contributing to the goals set forth in this plan and inviting others in the community, including city and county government, to partner in the efforts to create wellness for the guests and the community.
Direct Reports: Senior Director of Operations, Facilities Director, Supportive Services Director, Food Services Director, Women and Children’s Services Director, Advancement Director, Life Change Program Director
- Board of Directors
- Act as advisor to and report to the Board of Directors, working collaboratively to ensure the Board is fully informed, engaged and has adequate information for decision-making, policy direction. Includes preparation of a monthly board meeting.
- Work with Board to develop 3 and 5 year Strategic Plan.
- Work with the Board President to find and bring on new board members to ensure a vital, energetic Board and to meet agreed minimum board membership numbers as per the by-laws.
- Fulfill other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors to ensure the successful operation of the Mission.
- Fiscal/Fund Raising/Operations Management
- Oversee the Financial operations leading the Senior Director of Operations to ensure accuracy of all financial reporting, tax documents as well as day to day bookkeeping.
- Oversee daily short term cash position as well as long term investment positions with appropriate banking and investment firms.
- Oversee and approve all organizational policies in the policy manual leading the Senior Director of Operations to ensure the manual stays up to date with any changes.
- Oversee all Facilities maintenance and upgrades leading the Facilities Director to ensure all 13 buildings on 7.5 acres are functional and safe. This includes working with Senior Director of Operations to ensure all contracts are correctly written and implemented.
- Oversee all Guest Services functions leading the Women and Children’s Director as well as the Men’s Guest Services staff to meet or exceed required policy and services.
- Oversee general Safety and Wellness of the Campus ensuring the Safety Committee implements all safety procedures needed to stay compliant with all safety codes.
- Lead the Food Service Director to ensure safe and nutritious food is provided Mission guests on a daily basis.
- Oversee all Department head expenditures to ensure expenses meet budget targets.
- Marketing/PR/Fund Raising/Grants
- Responsible for developing the annual Marketing/PR plan including providing overall strategy and input to the Advertising agency and PR Firm.
- Oversee the advancement/fundraising effort leading the Development Director to ensure donations meet plan targets.
- Develop strong relations with both current key donors as well as future potential key donors.
- Work closely with staff directors and Grant Writer (volunteer) to develop list of key projects to apply for grants. Coordinate with Grant Writer and Development Director regarding submission, attainment, and thank you follow-up on all grants.
- Human Resources Management
- Oversee the Human Resources management function leading the Sr Director of Operations to stay compliant with all HR codes, maintain market competitive salary ranges, and keep up to date on latest developments in HR.
- Interview all final candidates for all open positions to ensure consistency with fit of every new employee entering the Mission.
- Lead the effort to maintain an environment that brings joy, wellness, safety, and peace to each and every staff member.
- Community Communication/Relations
- Act as primary spokesperson for the Mission for media, business groups, churches and other organizations as required.
- Develop a strong network of contacts among key government leaders, key non-profit leaders and key business leaders to ensure the Mission is relevant and informed regarding all pertinent community issues.
- Program Management
- Lead “Wellness Program” efforts working with Supportive Services Director and Life Change Program Director to ensure the latest and best practices are implemented regarding Trauma Informed Care and Relapse Prevention and Recovery respectively.
The Eugene Mission is a Christian organization and as such the Executive Director must identify as a Christian and fully support the Statement of Faith as set forth by the Mission by-laws. Further, the position of Executive Director requires a high degree of public visibility and, as such, necessitates that the incumbent display the highest degree of personal and professional integrity. It requires sensitivity to the religious, cultural and socioeconomic issues and preferences of the community.
Education, Skills, and/or Work Experience Requirements:
- A minimum of at least 5 years of experience in THE leadership position of a non-profit, with experience serving in an organization committed to a Trauma Informed Care model a plus. Further experience with addiction recovery is also a plus.
- Proven track record of leading Financial, Administrative, HR, Advancement, Marketing, and Strategic Planning functions in a non-profit.
- Compelling presence as a public speaker and organizational representative.
- A true servant leadership style with a heart for serving Christ by serving the marginalized.
- A Master’s Degree in a social services field or an MBA is strongly desired.
- Ability to sit, stand, walk for extended periods of time
- Ability to bend, climb stairs
- Will be required to pass drug screen and criminal background check