Executive Assistant to the Vice Presidents of Litigation
- Experience Level
Earthjustice is seeking an Executive Assistant to the Vice Presidents of Litigation to be based in either our New York City or Washington, D.C. office. Earthjustice is the nation’s premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring talented and dedicated attorneys who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with nine offices across the U.S.
The position provides a broad range of administrative support to two Vice Presidents of Litigation through communications, facilitation of workflow, schedule management, and meeting planning. The primary responsibilities of this role are to act as a seamless extension of the VPs of Litigation for the Healthy Communities program by providing effective executive support to each individually and by working collectively with the four-person litigation VP team.
The VPs operate in a matrix management structure, wherein they have responsibilities across respective offices and programs. This position will support coordinated information flow with and between all the VPs and between the VPs and the regional offices, programs and departments. This position will need to anticipate information needs and be proactive at coordinating information flow and contributing to the creation of effective systems.
- Provide administrative and logistical support to two VPs of Litigation, including:
- General scheduling
- Travel arrangements and expense report preparation
- Meeting preparation and scheduling
- Meeting minutes, distributing background materials, and tracking follow-up tasks
- Responsible for planning, logistics, and preparing materials for presentations, meetings, and video and conference calls
- Provide support for Managing Attorney and practice group meetings including scheduling, agendas, minutes, and tracking of follow-up assignments
- Provide tracking support for department budgets and funds, such as legal training funds and professional services budgets
- Support management of contracts and service agreements
- Manage hard copy and electronic files in accordance with Earthjustice document retention policies
- Provide administrative support for program reports and staff presentation
- Partner with key administrative staff and departments to ensure seamless coordination of responsibilities
- Help manage and track email and other correspondence
- Other duties as assigned
- Maintain and execute financial responsibilities in accordance with Earthjustice policy and in coordination with the VP of Finance and finance staff
- Review and approve all accounts payable and client billing, and coordinate payments with Finance
- Prepare employee expense reimbursements/vouchers
- Manage and reconcile company credit cards
- Track and submit donated time and discounted services for Earthjustice and client audit requests
- Assist VPs with budget development, tracking and reforecasting
- Prepare litigation budget spreadsheets and track related expenses
- Prepare and maintain budgets and oversee spending consistent with approved budget
- Bachelor’s degree or Associate’s Degree with equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of minimum work experience necessary.
- Experience providing administrative support for senior staff and reporting to more than one supervisor.
- In-depth proficiency with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Adobe Reader and Acrobat.
- Ability to develop, implement and track budgets.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage multiple tasks, sometimes under time pressure and facing unexpected challenges, with excellent results.
- Focus and attention to detail, including the management of complex information.
- Ability to work with supervisors remotely.
- Ability to take change in stride, overcome obstacles and adapt to unforeseen conditions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and good judgment about people and situations.
- Highly dependable and able to meet deadlines consistently.
- Ability to represent Earthjustice with tact, diplomacy, discretion and professionalism in interactions with important donors, board members, vendors, staff and program partners.
- Ability to maintain confidences and confidential information.
- Excellent written and in-person communications skills.
- Experience collaborating in a team or group culture that produces collective rather than individual products is highly preferred.
- Ability to lift and carry boxes or equipment weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Available for business travel as required that may include nights and weekends.
- Interest in contributing to the creation of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Using the Jobvite application tool, please submit:
- One- or two-page cover letter that addresses at least the following subjects: (1) why you are drawn to Earthjustice’s mission and whether there are particular legal, environmental, or justice issues that inspire you; and (2) aspects of your background that demonstrate competence to work with diverse clients and colleagues.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.