- Experience Level
Phi Mu Foundation is currently accepting applications for a vibrant opportunity to join a dynamic team working in support of the organization’s powerful mission.
Phi Mu Foundation is committed to the lifetime development of women through the support of the organization’s leadership, scholarship, philanthropic & educational programs, as well as historic preservation.
THE OPPORTUNITY: Reporting to the Executive Director, the Controller will be responsible for maintaining financial records, fund balances, donor records and oversight of all finance, accounting and reporting activities for Phi Mu Foundation.
The Controller will be involved in supporting presentations to the Finance and Investment Committee, working closely with the staff and Board of Trustees to lead all day-to-day finance operations of an approximately $1 million annual budget, including functional responsibility over donation processing, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and grants administration.
The Controller will ensure that Phi Mu Foundation has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation while working in partnership with independent auditors. The Controller will work closely with the staff and Board, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures but also to explore how the finance function can support program and fundraising operations.
In addition, she or he will partner with the Executive Director, staff and Board leadership on human resources (HR) and information technology (IT) to enhance and better integrate finance, HR, and IT functions.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for a strong leader with accounting and finance experience, ideally in accounting and audit, followed by experience gathering, evaluating, presenting and reporting financial information to executive teams and external stakeholders. She or he will ideally have experience working with nonprofit organizations or foundations.
Finance and Accounting Leadership
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate standards and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures.
- Coordinate all audit activity.
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership informed of Phi Mu Foundation’s financial position.
- Assist Phi Mu Foundation’s leadership in the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
- Support the Executive Director in engaging the Finance and Investment Committee around issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery.
- Oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; collate financial reporting materials for foundation grants.
- Manage organizational cash flow forecasting by working in partnership to continuously collaborate with staff to assess the financial efficacy of programs and establish finance and administrative systems to support operations.
- Working with the Finance and Investment Committee to manage and track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and investment guidelines.
- Serve as the point of contact with the Foundation’s outside charitable registration attorney; coordinate required annual filings and fee payments.
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
- Serve as staff liaison to the volunteer Member Assistance Committee and Scholarship Committee as they evaluate grants and scholarships for members. Provide volunteer committee management, oversight and training to ensure timely evaluation and award delivery process through SmarterSelect software.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Finance and Investment Committee, offering continuing education on fund balances, investment portfolio and budgeting process.
- Work in partnership with Development staff to track giving program donations and renewals, credit card renewals and declines. Develop best practices for managing online donations and recurring payments.
- Work with Director of Development to provide accurate and timely information for donor tax information.
Human Resources & IT
- Maintain all employee personnel files to assure all required documentation at hiring, throughout employment, and at termination are complete and current.
- Prepare bi-weekly payrolls and maintain appropriate records of such including but not limited to timesheets, PTO records, and required quarterly and annual payroll tax reports.
- Secure and maintain all employee group health, dental, life and disability insurance coverages, in addition to workers compensation insurance coverage
- Maintain the Simplified Employee Pension Plan making sure accurate contributions to eligible employees are made on a timely basis.
- Maintain Employee Handbook and consistently seek best practices in HR policy and processes.
- Serve as the point of contact with the Foundation’s outside IT vendor; coordinate staff hardware and software needs and service requests.
Requirements and Expectations:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, finance; or related field
- Minimum of 3-5 years of accounting or finance experience in the non-profit or for-profit sectors, higher education or member organization utilizing fund accounting.
- Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and portfolio management.
- A successful track record in grants management as it relates to compliance and reporting
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors
- Advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software including Blackbaud Financial Edge, Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge. Exposure to PATRIOT and SmarterSelect is a plus.
- Responsible, professional, flexible, hard‐working, ethical, self-motivated and committed to the mission of Phi Mu Foundation.
- Genuinely positive, team-oriented and collaborative approach to work with a willingness to support other special projects to advance the mission.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, board or other outside partners.
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels.
- Keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills.
- Volunteer management experience.
- Capital Campaign accounting experience preferred.
- Limited travel with the occasional need for availability after normal business hours.
- This is a full time position located in Peachtree City, Georgia.
Phi Mu Foundation offers:
- Competitive compensation and benefits package
- SEP contribution after one year at 10% of gross salary
- Paid time off, flexible working hours, medical and personal leave
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter describing your interest in the position and resume/experience history to Anji Roe Wood, Phi Mu Foundation Executive Director - firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline is August 24, 2018.
To provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at Phi Mu Foundation will be based on merit, qualifications, and the needs of the organization. Phi Mu Foundation does not unlawfully discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, ancestry, medical conditions, family care status, sexual orientation, or any other basis prohibited by law.