Senior Accountant - Foundation/Endowment
- Experience Level
OVERVIEW: Jewish Federation of Greater Atlanta is continuing to build a diverse team of highly motivated and qualified individuals to create a new model of 21st century community engagement and philanthropy. Federation is looking for candidates who are forward-thinking, motivated, and have a positive attitude who enjoy working in an inclusive, dynamic environment.
Under the supervision of the Director of Finance and working closely with the Atlanta Jewish Foundation team, the Senior Accountant – Foundation will oversee the accounting relating to the Foundation, which includes Donor Advised Funds, supporting foundations, and restricted and custodial funds, totaling approximately $450M. The Foundation is in a period of exciting growth with the goal to double in size over the next decade.
PRINCIPAL FUNCTION: Responsible for all accounting, investment reconciliation and reporting for the Atlanta Jewish Foundation. Prepare all audit and tax schedules for the Foundation. Assist in other areas of the Finance department as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Process and record Foundation transactions in an accurate and timely manner
- Update market value of the investment fund
- Record all transactions in the Stellar system, including bank and brokerage activity
- Reconcile brokerage and bank statements for the Foundation on a monthly basis
- Monitor bank accounts to ensure adequate balances daily
- Prepare analysis reports for the Foundation as requested
- Monitor investment portfolios to ensure compliance with approved policies and procedures
- Review monthly changes to Donor Advised Fund pools, including rebalancing reconciliations, journal entries, and reports
- Act as liaison to the Foundation team and attend meetings as requested
- Develop strategies to ensure the accurate recording of all activity related to Donor Advised Funds, PACE funds, and all Foundation assets
- Initiate fund transfers between brokerage and bank accounts
- Prepare monthly Foundation trial balance to record and consolidate with Federation’s financials
- Responsible for creation of accurate and timely audit and tax schedules
- Collaborate and interact with all member of Federation, prospective and current donors and other members of the community
- Maintain fixed asset records
- Assist in the generation of consolidated financial statements
- Maintain confidentiality of all information pertaining to donor and Foundation operations
- Promote the mission of the organization through superior customer service
- Occasionally attend night or weekend community events
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree and CPA required. Master’s degree preferred. Public accounting and 5+ years accounting experience, nonprofit and/or investment accounting experience strongly preferred. Strong Microsoft Excel skills required including pivot tables and Vlookup; proficiency in other Microsoft Office products. Experience with Stellar and/or Abila MIP a plus. Ability to quickly learn financial and donor software. Proven success in fast-paced environments and customer relationships. Must have excellent spoken and written communication skills.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Minimal physical effort required with intermittent standing and walking and prolonged periods of sitting in meetings or at desk working with computer.
Jewish Federation of Greater Atlanta is an equal opportunity employer.