- Experience Level
The Garrison Institute,a non-profit organization is seeking a Senior Editor who is passionate about our mission and exploring the intersection of science, technology, spirituality, and social. The Senior Editor will develop and execute the Garrison Institute’s strategic vision for publishing content across various platforms to position the Institute as a thought leader, resource, and content provider. By developing, editing, and curating a variety of content, the Senior Editor will build, sustain, and deepen the Institute’s relationships with contemplative, scientific, artistic, and social change communities around the globe. It is crucial for the Senior Editor to have key contacts within these communities, most especially among key journalists and authors who write about topics related to the Institute’s work.
The Senior Editor’s primary focus at the Garrison Institute is to create and implement a strategy that will ensure the Garrison Institute speaks with credibility and engages authentically with each of these key communities. The position reports to the Marketing and Communications Director.
The Senior Editor’s primary responsibilities include:
● Ensure that we are telling the right stories
The Senior Editor will develop and execute short- and long-term strategies and leverage them into sustained impact that will cement the Garrison Institute’s mission and values in our key communities.
● Create a powerful platform for provocative issues, inspiring stories, and innovative voices in key communities
● Identify audience profiles and market segments to develop content that is competitive, relevant, and innovative--content that is both timeless and timely.
● In collaboration with the internal programming committee, of which the Senior Editor is a member, create synergy among the Garrison Institute’s events, workshops, salons, symposia, and retreats and our publishing and digital content initiatives.
● Maximize opportunities to create content with speakers, teachers, and organizations that host retreats and workshops at the Garrison Institute.
● Develop, formalize, and manage the project pipeline -- from incubation to production to publication to outreach strategies -- for all publications and digital content
● Plan a robust editorial calendar that supports and extends programmatic, marketing, and fundraising initiatives, both short- and long-term. This includes the development of analytics to track our audience’s engagement with content.
● Based on analytics, evolve strategies and content to increase engagement. Continuous evolution of strategy is a must.
● Identify and build relationships with strategic content partners
● Align with like-minded organizations or influencers via partnerships and new initiatives related to publications and digital content
● Develop and create content partnerships with existing content providers with wide circulation, e.g., Greater Good Science Center.
● Launch initiatives with partners to reach new community members and bring them into the Garrison Institute fold.
● Align content initiatives with financial objectives of the Garrison Institute
● Work with the Director of Development on leveraging publications and digital content for fundraising opportunities and donor engagement.
● Create content that will work to increase registrations for Garrison Institute-generated retreats, workshops, symposia, salons, lectures, and events.
● Manage and integrate all editorial publishing channels
● Oversee editorial aspects of website, newsletters, and social media.
● Manage storage and categorization of blog content.
● Serve as public representative for the Garrison Institute
● Be an active and visible member of the key communities and sustain an established public profile on behalf of the Garrison Institute.
● Find opportunities for thought leadership to share commentary and perspective on convergence of contemplation and social action, both in and out of the context of the Garrison Institute’s publications
● Effortlessly communicate the Garrison Institute’s mission and brand externally, in the language of the key communities with whom we interact.
• Minimum of 5+ years of professional experience as a journalist or content producer for a nonprofit organization with demonstrated success as an expert editor and writer.
• Bachelor’s Degree required; a relevant advanced degree is a plus
• An authentic commitment and passion for the mission and values of the Institute.
• Expertise in creating compelling content that can be distributed across various digital platforms as well as print.
• Outstanding written, interpersonal and verbal communication skills are a must.
• Strong listening and planning skills with the ability to interact effectively with various people and personalities
• Expert knowledge about communications and mass media.
• Must have key contacts among key journalists and authors who write about topics related to the Institute’s work.
• Exceptional relationship-building skills and comfort in proactively and effectively building relationships among academics, environmentalists, scientists, researchers, teachers, artists, and social change advocates.
• Creative use of video and social media to profile content and increase readership.
• Demonstrated ability to multi-task, remain focused, meet deadlines and prioritize job responsibilities.
• Entrepreneurial style leader who can articulate our brand voice and increase our profile through content creation, syndication, and distribution.
• Interests in spirituality, personal experience with contemplative practices.
• Our ideal candidate will be a creative, highly motivated, and flexible team player
Compensation & How to Apply:
This is a full-time, salaried position offering a generous benefits package including health benefits, spiritual retreats, paid vacation, retirement plan, and more. The annual salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience. We offer an energized and motivated team of colleagues and a warm and collegial atmosphere. Flexible work arrangements including some telecommuting is possible for this position.
To apply send a letter of interest, a resume, three writing samples, and the names and
contact information of three professional references to: HR Director, via email
firstname.lastname@example.org. All submissions will be received in confidence.
The Garrison Institute is an equal employment opportunity employer. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.