- Experience Level
Office Location: New York Preferred
Reports to Title: Deputy Editorial Director
Salary: Commensurate with experience
FLSA Status: Exempt
Start Date: Immediate
Application Deadline: Until the position is filled
The Committee to Protect Journalists promotes press freedom worldwide and defends the right of journalists to report the news without fear of reprisal. CPJ ensures the free flow of news and commentary by taking action wherever journalists are attacked, imprisoned, killed, kidnapped, threatened, censored, or harassed.
Job Summary & Details:
CPJ seeks an editor to lead its coverage of global technology developments and policies that affect journalists and freedom of the press. Reporting on instances of digital censorship, surveillance, online harassment, and breaches of privacy form the foundation of CPJ’s advocacy efforts to ensure journalists can work freely and securely on all platforms.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide expert editing of copy by CPJ researchers and international correspondents on tech issues
• Report on policies and actions of governments and technology corporations that directly impact journalists and how they do their work
• On a global scale, guide and conduct research into breaches of journalists’ privacy and security, and the obstruction of online news gathering and dissemination, in order to identify issues that influence and support CPJ’s advocacy goals
• Collaborate with regional researchers and correspondents to identify areas of tech coverage and build program expertise
• Serve as backup editor for general press freedom coverage as needed
Qualifications & Work Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
• At least five years in journalism, including proven coverage of technology
• Deep understanding of the technology behind the gathering and dissemination of news and information
• Knowledge of the legislative and regulatory framework in the information and communications technology (ICT) industry
• Native-level English communications and editing skills
• Experience editing writers whose first language is not English
• International work or study experience
• Foreign language skills
• Ability to guide and edit the work of others on complex issues of technology and policy
• Ability to write clearly and quickly on complex issues for both specialist and general audiences.
• Initiative to produce regular stories while managing to tight deadlines
• Flexibility to define and adapt the role, which is new, as dictated by changing circumstances and organizational objectives
• Commitment to, and passion for, freedom of the press.
• Collaborative spirit
How to apply
Please submit a brief cover letter and resume to email@example.com, with "Technology Editor" in the subject line.
CPJ is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.