Manager of Development
2 days left
- Experience Level
Manager of Development
Annual Salary range: $35,000 to $40,000
Thesecondopinion has been serving cancer patients and their families for over 48 years. Located in San Francisco, thesecondopinion supports cancer patients and their families by providing free, comprehensive second opinions, using an in-person panel format. Our purpose is to give cancer patients with limited financial and medical resources a better understanding of their disease and the clarity they need to make informed medical decisions.
Thesecondopinion has never had a dedicated development staff team member and we are excited to be able to offer this position. We are looking for a kind, passionate and creative individual that has the ability to strengthen the organization with their development skills - someone that is starting or semi-retiring from a career in fund development, grant writing, and wants to continue their career path in a P/T flexible manner.
The Manager of Development, in collaboration with the Managing Director, will be given increasing responsibility in fund development research and prospecting; managing the fund development calendar; writing grant reports and proposals; coordinating various fundraisers and annual donor appeals. The Manager of Development will also track fundraising goals and grants using our Salesforce database. Additionally, the Manager of Development will support the Managing Director with communication activities as needed, which include: editing website content, updating social media posts, newsletter and others. This role reports directly to the Managing Director and Board of Directors.
Managing Director and Board of Directors
Fundraising, Grant Writing, and Fund Development Planning (80%)
- With the Managing Director and the Board of Directors guidance, manage activities for institutional and individual donor cultivation, solicitation, and relationship management (i.e., research, outreach, and initial letters of inquiry).
- Support prospecting research activities (both national and local, as well as for specific populations), including setting up calls and meetings for Board of Directors with potential and current funders. The Manager will also attend certain meetings and calls, and take necessary follow up actions as needed with potential and current funders. Eventually the Manager will be the lead point of contact for specific funders.
- Maintain accurate tracking of all institutional funds sought and received, including multi-year grants. Track deadlines for all proposals and reports to ensure timely submission of complete reporting packages, and inquiries about renewed support.
- Coordinate the assembly of all reports and grant attachments; and submit grant proposals and report packages for all foundations. The Manager of Development will play a lead role in developing proposal narratives and reports, with support and training initially as needed.
- Participate in the creation and implementation of thesecondopinion’s fund development strategy, including tactics to solidify and expand funds from existing sources and to diversify and expand funding sources
- Implement and manage new individual donor plan, especially individual donor communications.
- Support Board fundraising activities.
- Attend and represent thesecondopinion at networking events, speaking engagements, conferences, etc.
- Maintain development systems, including files (both hard copy and electronic), the Salesforce database, gift/payment processing, and acknowledgement letters.
- As needed, support organizational events, especially regarding funder recognition and individual donor cultivation
- Support Managing Director and Board of Directors in elevating thesecondopinion’s reputation and visibility among funders and other audiences
- With the Managing Director’s guidance, maintain thesecondopinion’s website and social media presence, including developing content for monthly newsletters.
- Assist with the development of materials (annual report, brochure, annual appeals) about thesecondopinion and its impact, including written and photo profiles of participants.
- Experience in nonprofit fund development, event planning, donor cultivation and grant writing.
- Proven success in supporting fund development, donor relations programs, and proposal preparation for various funder audiences.
- Experience supporting social media activities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as proofreading skills.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Experience with Salesforce a plus.
- Ability to thrive in a small, open environment with diverse perspectives and working styles.
- Driven to meet thesecondopinion’s mission.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- Four-year college degree required, master's degree a plus
Part-time annual compensation range is $35,000 – $40,000.
Employee shared cost medical benefits, paid holidays and vacation and sick time.
Flexible schedule allows employee to work remotely 80% of the time.
Thesecondopinion is an equal opportunity employer, and we actively work to build a team that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. ALL candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Review of applications will start July 30 and continue on a rolling basis until position is filled. This is a part-time position; please do not apply if you are looking for a full-time work.
Please send the following:
- Detailed cover letter highlighting your interest and relevant experience (see qualifications)
- Three references with contact information
- Your best writing sample
Resumes without a cover letter, writing sample and references will not be reviewed. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.