Chief Operating Officer
- Degree Level
MedShare is currently seeking a Chief Operating Officer (COO) to join the organization’s leadership team at a very exciting time. MedShare is a key player in the global health sector and is continuing to expand its impact through innovation in both its operating model and programs. We are seeking a dynamic, hands–on, experienced candidate who has a passion for our mission and an unwavering commitment to operational excellence.
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) is responsible for leading the enterprise Operations including the internal organizational processes, systems and infrastructure that allow MedShare to fulfill its mission and will support its strategic plan. The COO oversees MedShare’s: National Strategic Services, Distribution & Volunteer Centers in the Southeast, West and Northeast. The COO will also have primary responsibility for the Southeast Warehouse and Distribution Center and will be a member of the organization’s executive leadership team.
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer & President
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide day-to-day leadership and management that mirrors the mission and core values of the organization.
- As part of Executive Leadership Team, drive the overall Operations of MedShare to achieve and surpass the mission’s goals and objectives.
- Establish annual budget and goals for Operations as part of the enterprise-wide annual planning process.
- Motivate and lead a high performing Operations team.
- Foster a success-oriented, accountable environment within a matrix-based organization structure.
- Serve as staff resource to Board Committees as required; develop reports for board and present to the board as needed.
- Support Human Resources in distribution and roll-out of professional development curriculum, tools, and training.
- Promote and cultivate the values of MedShare within the organization
- Represent MedShare with sponsors, donors and business partners, when appropriate.
National Strategic Services
- Develop and maintain best-in-class operational functions that work across the enterprise including: program development/implementation, product distribution, shipping, procurement, pipeline management, biomedical services, recipient feedback, standards/protocols, analytics, and technology.
- Work collaboratively with distribution center (DC) leadership to develop and implement national services that support each geographic market while also maintaining the required standardization across the enterprise.
- Ensure all relevant operational functions can scale across multiple DCs.
- Responsible for the measurement and effectiveness of all operational processes including the shipment pipeline. Provide timely, accurate and complete reports on the operating condition of the organization.
- Collaborate with the management team to develop and implement plans for the operational infrastructure, systems, processes, and personnel designed to accommodate the enterprise objectives.
- Oversee Operations role as primary interface with recipients; ensure recipient satisfaction on shipping matters; facilitate and manage resolution of escalated fulfillment issues.
- Monitor and oversee quality control processes across all National Strategic Services.
- Oversee administrative functions for all MedShare offices nationwide, ensuring smooth daily operations of physical plant, equipment and IT infrastructure.
- Aggregate data across DCs as required for enterprise-wide reporting.
Southeast, West and Northeast Volunteer & Distribution Centers
- Oversee all facets of operating a high-performing MedShare Distribution & Volunteer Center (DC) including: volunteer program, hospital relations, warehouse, inventory management, biomedical support, med team store, and physical plant.
- Leverage co-location of National offices and Southeast DC to test out new ideas and troubleshoot issues. Use Southeast operations as a proving ground for operational innovations.
- Manage all aspects of inventory and movement of medical supplies and equipment donated to and sent from MedShare’s Southeastern Distribution Center, maintaining the physical office and warehouse space, supervising department managers and support staff.
- Strong operational experience, ideally working for 10 + years in a socially responsible organization with progressive experience leading to at least three years experience in operational/administrative management.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, master’s degree preferred.
- Significant experience in international shipping and logistics either for a corporation or NGO (dealing in duty-free importation would be desirable).
- Knowledge of Program Development, Monitoring and Evaluations a strong plus.
- Experience in organizational development, personnel management, budget and resource development, and strategic planning, ideally in a non-profit environment.
- Demonstrated success developing and monitoring systems to manage operational work that involve high levels of collaboration.
- Excellent people skills with an ability to partner with a dynamic leadership team.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and commitment to the mission of MedShare.
- Flexible and able to multitask; able to work in an entrepreneurial, fast moving environment, while also driving toward clarity and solutions.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems.
- Experience and/or demonstrated capability to work in a matrix-based organization structure.
- Extremely high attention to detail.
- Fluency in English required, fluency in French and/or Spanish desirable.
- Experience living / working internationally is desirable.
- Must be hands-on.
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Salary is commensurate with experience. MedShare offers an attractive benefits package, including healthcare, dental, and vision, 401(k), and paid leave.
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Chief Operating Officer” in the subject line.
MedShare is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on age, gender, race or ethnic origin, religion, veteran status, physical or medical condition, political affiliations or sexual orientation.