- Position Type
- Full Time
Do you feel called to work in a Christian Ministry?
Do you want to work where you make a difference in the lives of others?
Join us at the Atlanta Mission, where we make a difference in the lives of over 1000 men, women, and children every day by providing food, shelter, clothing, counseling, vocational and spiritual guidance. We get to witness radical life transformations.
As an Accountant, you will serve within our ministry by providing accounting expertise, with a focus on specific assigned responsibilities from the list of Essential Duties and Responsibilities below.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Participates in the monthly accounting activities required to close the accounting records, prepares and distributes actual vs. budget operating reports, and prepare monthly financial statements
- Analyzes transactions and prepare journal entries
- Provides assistance for the annual financial audit, 403b retirement plan audit, and IRS Form 990
- Monitors all five (5) bank accounts and prepares daily cash report
- Reconciles every bank account to the general ledger each month
- Reconciles operating cash in the bank account to “donations income” on the financial statements
- Partners with the Development team to reconcile “donations income” on the financial statements to Salesforce
- Provides weekly financial reports to all 5 Thrift Stores
- Coordinates with all locations to gather the information to record In-Kind Donations each month
- Assists in the development of the annual operating budget and capital budget
- Provides assistance to managers in analyzing budget vs. actual reports
- Recommends and implements procedures and efficiencies that increase accuracy and enhance internal controls
- Provides backup and cross-training within the accounting department
- Provides back-up assistance for finance and administration team members as needed
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies
- Attends Mission-wide meetings and training as appropriate
- Performs other duties as assigned
You will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s degree (BA or BBA) from a four-year university, and two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in nonprofit and/or Christian ministry environment preferred
- Experience with creating financial statements
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year end close process
- Excellent accounting software user and administration skills
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles and procedures
- Proficient in database management and record keeping
Experience & Skills:
- Strong desire to work in a Christian ministry and passion for serving those experiencing homelessness
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (excel, word and power point) and working knowledge of FRX reporting; Great Plains Dynamics Accounting system and Paycom payroll system or similar
- Ability to effectively communicate with employees at all levels and respond to sensitive inquiries and/or complaints
- Ability to exhibit a high level of confidentiality
- Excellent organizational skills with a concentration on time management
- Must be able to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner and time management while juggling a heavy workload
- Self-directed with minimal supervision
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
Physical Job Requirements:
- Must have the ability to remain in a stationary position (standing, sitting and/or walking)
- Must have the ability to constantly operate a computer and other office equipment, such as a copy machine, calculator and computer printer
- Must be able to communicate accurate information
- Must have the ability to identify and distinguish colors, to adjust focus and maintain close and distance vision
Employer PAID benefits: Term Life and AD&D Insurance - Short-Term Disability - Travel Assistance Program - Employee Assistance Program (EAP) - Employee Advocacy Services
Employer CONTRIBUTED Benefits: Medical and 403b Retirement Plan
Atlanta Mission transforms, through Christ, the lives of those facing homelessness. We are a community united to end homelessness . . .one friend at a time.
Atlanta Mission has been called by God to serve the city of Atlanta.
Since its 1938 beginnings, this Christian nonprofit ministry has grown from a small soup kitchen to a multi-facility organization serving Metro Atlanta's large homeless population. Today, Atlanta Mission provides emergency shelter, rehab and recovery services, vocational training, services, and transitional housing. We serve more than 1,000 homeless men, women, and children every day.
Atlanta Mission meets each person where they are, in their unique circumstances, to provide customized services to help them overcome the cause of their homelessness.
We believe that a relationship with Christ is the key to restoration, redemption, and sustainable change for everyone. We invest in the spiritual, personal, and professional development of people, restoring and equipping them to intentional living. We believe that in empowering and coaching people toward excellence, we impact the quality of all we do.
Various factors lead to homelessness job loss, eviction, family tragedy, addiction, domestic violence, a major health condition, and more. The common denominator is a major crack in their life foundation. Our programs are multi-pronged and multi-layered, designed to meet people where life has led them.