- Experience Level
Anticipated Start Date: On or before September 4, 2018
Georgia Appleseed Center for Law and Justice (www.gaappleseed.org) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, public interest law center with the mission to increase justice in Georgia through law and policy reform and community engagement. Our vision is a Georgia where the voices of poor people, children and marginalized people are heard and where injustices that no one should endure are resolved. Georgia Appleseed believes in the following values: (1) balanced and objective research, (2) data-driven, pragmatic solutions, (3) collaboration to achieve justice, (4) courage to tackle the hard issues, and (5) the power of pro bono.
Georgia Appleseed’s current priorities fall in four programmatic areas, serving Georgians state-wide, by (1) dismantling the school-to-prison pipeline (STPP), (2) increasing public safety through relationships of trust and respect among and between community members and law enforcement, (3) helping those on the margins gain greater access to justice, and (4) supporting community revitalization through state and local engagement and the implementation of research based recommendations for systemic change.
Georgia Appleseed not only advocates for state-level law and policy reform, but it also works to build the connection between such reform and local impact. This is especially true for our work to dismantle the school-to-prison-pipeline. We know community-wide participation—that of parents, businesses, the faith community, and others—enhances the efforts to keep more kids in school and out of the juvenile court. Georgia Appleseed’s projects can be replicated in different jurisdictions. We work with project partners and other stakeholders to secure their active engagement in achieving local justice goals and to facilitate the creation of local collaborative infrastructure, thereby enabling community members to become empowered and sound public policy reforms to become self-sustaining.
The Senior Attorney reports to the Executive Director and serves as lead attorney on all pro bono (legal) and other law related projects. The Senior Attorney directs and reviews all project work ensuring that all activities are evaluated for progress and impact. This position is involved in community activities to increase awareness of Georgia Appleseed and its pro bono projects and from time to time represents Georgia Appleseed’s non-partisan objectives before the State legislature and other local public policy makers. Additionally, the Senior Attorney provides legal expertise to pro bono projects and other legal work of the organization. To support sustainability, the Senior Attorney recruits and coordinates resources for complex issues drafting grant narratives for new project proposals and preparing periodic progress reports on funded activities. Salary will be dependent on experience.
CORE COMPETENCIES FOR THE POSITION:
- Strong ability to leverage an existing network and collaborate with diverse groups of individuals, including lawyers, professionals, state and community leaders, and public interest advocates.
- Review, analyze, interpret and synthesize in timely fashion state and federal law, regulations, policies, research, and numerical data.
- Strong individual initiative, ability proactively to multi-task and prioritize among numerous responsibilities in a fast-paced environment to ensure deliverables are achieved.
- Produce exceptional writing that is strategic and relevant and that relates to the intended audience (whether a lay audience for a major project report or a professional audience for comments upon proposed legislation).
- Understand and be able to organize and achieve project deliverables/outcomes.
- Be an effective oral communicator in front of a variety of audiences (individual and group presentations to legislators, board directors, community stakeholders).
- Enjoy and be effective at mentoring, leading, and supporting lawyers and law students.
ESSENTIAL POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
- Initiate, lead, and manage Georgia Appleseed projects around the state of Georgia.
- Serve as in-house counsel/advisor to the Executive Director as needed.
- Author Georgia Appleseed reports as well as lead and edit reports prepared by pro bono counsel.
- Participate in writing narratives for grant applications and prepare grant narrative reports for funded projects.
- Manage Georgia Appleseed’s relationship with State Agencies on Project Related Activities, especially with the Georgia Department of Education (Keeping Kids in Class Toolkit OSS data).
- Serve as the liaison to the national Appleseed network on collaborative project initiatives.
- Prepare reports regarding pro bono (legal) projects as assigned, including reports to the Board of Directors, funding entities and outside parties.
- Provide primary staff support to the Projects Committee of the Georgia Appleseed Board of Directors.
Submit a letter of interest, resume, writing sample, and contact information for three references to Talley Wells, Executive Director, by email at SeniorAttorney@gaappleseed.org. This position will be filled as soon as a qualified applicant is identified and has accepted the position. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Georgia Appleseed Center for Law and Justice is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any job applicant or employee because of that person’s race, color, sex, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability, sexual orientation, creed, citizenship, HIV status, or marital status. We recognize the value of diversity in the workplace and strongly urge people in all protected groups to apply for employment.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for individuals with mental or physical disabilities who are otherwise qualified to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of a given position in a satisfactory manner, provided the needed accommodation does not result in an undue hardship for Georgia Appleseed.
More searches like this
- Advocacy / Lobbying Youth Development Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Legal Youth Development Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Program / Project Management Youth Development Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Public Policy / Administration Youth Development Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Research Youth Development Full Time jobs in Atlanta