Director of Finance
6 days left
- Experience Level
The Atlanta Opera is growing and seeks a highly developed leader for its Finance Department. We are a leading arts and culture organization in Atlanta and we need a talented, dedicated, growth-minded individual with tested business acumen and a mind for financial strategy to join our growing team. The optimal candidate will possess a strong non-profit financial background, proven leadership experience, a savvy business mind, and strong communication skills. Our team works hard to stimulate and challenge our community with innovative world-class productions. We need a talented individual to help lead that team in efficient and responsible growth.
The Director of Finance will oversee the Finance Department with particular focus on the infrastructure and systems needed to support the strategic objectives for The Atlanta Opera’s financial health. The position will be an active participant in, and driver of, the organization’s overall financial strategy. Partner closely with the Managing Director to ensure the financial goals and obligations of the organization are achieved, documented, audited, and communicated. Responsible for the oversight of administrative and financial systems including financial accounting and reporting, budget planning and management, human resources, information technology, and operations infrastructure. A key member of the company’s senior management team and works closely with the motivated and engaged finance, audit, and investment committees of the board of directors. Lead the finance and administrative staff: Controller, Staff Accountant, Human Resources/Office Manager, and Bookkeeper, as well as the third-party IT contractor.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following duties, in addition to other duties as assigned:
- Partner with the Managing Director on all operational and strategic issues as they arise; provide strategic recommendations to the Managing Director and General & Artistic Director based on financial analysis and projections, cost identification and allocation, and revenue/expense analysis.
- Participate in the ongoing strategic planning process as an integral member of the senior management team.
- Engage senior management team with short- and long-term financial planning goals and projections.
- Engage the board finance committee, audit committee, and investment committee around the issues, trends, and changes in the financial position of TAO.
- Develop and maintain documentation for procedures and policies for the finance and administration department.
- Ensure accurate recording of all financial transactions in accordance with GAAP. General oversight and approval of all general ledger activity including but not limited to activity in: cash, investments, prepaid expenses, fixed assets, accounts payable, accruals, deferred revenue, restricted net assets, contributions, and sales activity.
- Review and approve all monthly and quarterly account reconciliations, as prepared by the Controller.
- Review and approve weekly payables and bi-weekly payroll, as prepared by the Controller or Staff Accountant.
- Review and approve all general journal entries, as prepared by the Controller or Staff Accountant.
- Review and approve all employee/contractor information returns and quarterly wage filings, as prepared by the Controller or Staff Accountant.
- Sign checks and authorize direct payments to vendors and employees.
- In conjunction with the external audit firm, prepare, review, and file annual federal and state income tax returns, serving as the primary contact with the IRS.
- Manage the yearly audit as the direct liaison with the external auditors, including preparing necessary audit schedules.
- Primary contact for the Audit Committee on all financial compliance and reporting.
- Primary contact for the Finance and Executive Committee on all finance issues.
- Primary contact for the Investment Committee for the review of the Endowment.
- Develop and prepare monthly financial statement package that includes detailed analytics of the operational results along with detailed budget variance analysis, for distribution to senior management and the executive committee.
- Coordinate the planning, compilation, and presentation of the annual budget; maintain all records of progress in relation to the budget.
- Review monthly variance reports with senior management and ensure budget goals are met.
- Manage all debt relationships with regards to new borrowing and paydown schedules, primary contact with lenders, assess debt requirements.
- Forecast monthly, quarterly and annual cash flows, manage funds available to accommodate seasonality and other influences on cash flow.
- Oversee relationships with various landlords and equipment vendors, negotiate property leases, manage acquisition and maintenance of leased equipment, negotiate and approve equipment leases, maintain obligations under leases in coordination with the daily activities of the Administrative and Human Resources Manager.
- Manage all operational aspects of Atlanta Opera Center and supervise Human Resources and Office Manager’s daily functions of: property maintenance and repairs, cleaning, supply orders, office space and furniture, IT liaison, etc.
- Oversee the renewal process for all liability and property insurance policies.
- Coordinate and manage the Finance and Administration team and their programs.
- Oversee the compliance of all human resource functions with appropriate federal and state law through the coordination and management of the Administrative and Human Resources Manager.
- Review policies and procedures for efficient implementation and compliance over all TAO employees. Coordinate effective processes for the recruitment of other staff, formulation of compensation and salary ranges, performance appraisals and disciplinary matters, and secure personnel records.
- Oversee the Administrative and Human Resources Manager’s responsibilities with: employee insurance programs; office holidays; worker’s compensation insurance; unemployment claims; participation and implementation of employee development; retirement plan, etc.
- Software, Hardware, and Internet: Coordinate all necessary requirements (and budgeted) for the office through the use of a selected third-party vendor and evaluate the performance of the third-party vendor according to contract terms.
- Oversee the Administrative and Human Resource Manger’s responsibilities over the daily function of IT management onsite and through the third-party IT vendor as it relates to: equipment purchasing and setup; software purchasing and installations; phone technology and setup; file structure and taxonomy.
- Communicate and support implementation for all technology platforms to TAO staff.
- Accountability and Honesty
- Thinking Strategically and Analytically
- Communicating effectively both orally and in writing
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Conflict management and resolution
- Problem solving
- Partnering/Networking: Ability to engage with all stakeholders
- High tolerance for stress and long workdays
- Decision Making
- Establishing Focus
- Delegation and facilitation
- Managing Risk
- Ability to influence others
- High emotional intelligence
- Strong aptitude for change and continual learning
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) and/or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or 10 years of experience in a similar role required.
- Significant experience in a senior-level position in finance including budget development is required.
- Significant experience forecasting and managing cash flow is required.
- Strong understanding of non-profit finance and accounting is required.
- Demonstrated experience in financial analytics is required.
- Proficiency and experience with accounting software packages and Microsoft Office Suite is required.
- Knowledge of opera and industry practices in order to participate fully with planning processes is required.
- Knowledge of Abila MIP Fund Accounting and Tessitura is preferred.
More searches like this
- Accounting / Finance Arts / Culture / Humanities $70,000 - $99,999 Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Administrative / Clerical Arts / Culture / Humanities $70,000 - $99,999 Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Executive / Senior Management Arts / Culture / Humanities $70,000 - $99,999 Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Facilities / Equipment Arts / Culture / Humanities $70,000 - $99,999 Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Human Resources / Recruiting Arts / Culture / Humanities $70,000 - $99,999 Full Time jobs in Atlanta