- Experience Level
Better Georgia seeks an executive-level leader with experience in politics, policy, fundraising & development, communications and non-profit management.
The Executive Director will be the chief strategist and spokesperson for the organization; be the lead for all necessary decision making; work in partnership with the Boards of Directors on governance, strategic planning and fundraising; facilitate coordination with the broader progressive organizational landscape in Georgia; and recruit, train and oversee a talented staff team.
Better Georgia, a progressive communications hub, is located in Atlanta, Ga. Founded in 2011, we are Georgia’s largest progressive community with an active Facebook audience of more than 143,000 progressive activists; a large, effective email list; a highly read blog; and podcast programming and other digital tools designed to expand our reach.
Our organization exists to develop and implement a statewide communications strategy to build the common good and to win the ideas and values debate in Georgia. Better Georgia is committed to working in coalition with Georgia-based progressive organizations, and we are guided by the belief that we are stronger with an engaged citizenry and a healthy, inclusive democracy.
Our role is to:
- Develop, oversee and implement a statewide communications messaging and media strategy;
- Provide leadership in implementing proactive, strategic communications for both earned and paid media, and making effective use of policy research, a wide range of web-based tools, and new technologies to promote progressive values and solutions in Georgia’s political and civic landscape;
- Provide support and resources to the existing progressive infrastructure of organizations working in alignment to coordinate the efficient and effective communication of a progressive message;
- Advance citizen discussion, advocacy, and activism by working with coalition partners to be a resource for building a bottom-up, self-reinforcing progressive system;
- Gain widespread acceptance and support among Georgians for progressive values and opinions while building upon the beliefs and values held by a majority of Georgians in anticipation of opportunity for electoral victories;
- Work to empower the people of our state by creating new and genuine dialogue that gives them voice on the direction of our state and access to the organizing and advocacy tools needed to effect real change.
Our next Executive Director will develop, coordinate and implement progressive policy messaging and work in coalition to help strengthen, grow and organize our state’s progressive infrastructure to turn stakeholder engagement into legislative and electoral victories that advance the values we share.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Direct all aspects of the organization including: management of staff, research & message development, media relations, communications, list growth, supporting and enabling existing progressive infrastructure, fundraising and board development.
- Lead the organization’s efforts to identify and frame the issues of the day and to influence the electorate—and, through them—key decision makers.
- Initiate a suite of innovative communications strategies including, but not limited to, paid and earned media.
- Create a culture of collaboration and innovation that incubates new ideas and technologies.
- Provide resources, research, media/communications expertise and support to existing and future progressive organizations, building durable coalitions and relationships.
- Serve as the organization’s primary spokesperson, a progressive spokesperson of last resort, and delegate responsibilities to staff when appropriate.
- Oversee the organization’s financial systems and daily finances to ensure compliance, and facilitate development of organization’s annual budget and audit.
- Report regularly to leadership and members of the organizations’ Boards of Directors.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
Desired Experience and Skills:
- Demonstrated commitment to progressive values.
- Expert relationship builder with ability to build strong relationships quickly, including with staff, funders, and external allies and partners.
- Demonstrated experience in organizational management and/or fundraising, staff development, and working with a board of directors.
- Strong people skills, and ability to exercise good judgment and discretion.
- Demonstrated experience and proficiency in advocacy, strategic plan implementation, public speaking, media relations and communications.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills.
- Detail-oriented, organized, and able to manage several projects at once.
- Ability to work proactively and independently.
- Assertiveness and tact in handling confidential and sensitive issues and documents.
- Basic familiarity with 501(c)(3), (c)(4) and 527 distinctions & regulations preferred.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong work ethic.
- Sense of humor.
Reports to: Board of Directors
Based in: Atlanta, Georgia
Start date: As soon as possible
Travel: Some travel may be required
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Benefits: Medical insurance available, other benefits negotiable
Please send resume, cover letter, writing sample (no more than 2 pages), salary/benefit requirements and professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Better Georgia Executive Director” referenced in the subject line.
Applications will be considered as they are received.
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at Better Georgia. Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law. We value diverse backgrounds and experiences. Women and Persons of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
More searches like this
- Accounting / Finance Healthcare $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Development / Fundraising Healthcare $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Executive / Senior Management Healthcare $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Human Resources / Recruiting Healthcare $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Legal Healthcare $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Atlanta