Central and South America Program Research Associate
- Experience Level
Position: Central and South America Program Research Associate
Reports to: Central and South America Program Coordinator
Location: New York, USA (preferred)
Salary: Commensurate with experience
The Committee to Protect Journalists seeks a researcher for its Central and South America program to work full-time in our New York City office. The Program Research Associate works under the supervision of the Central and South America Program Coordinator to closely monitor, document and respond to press freedom abuses in the Americas. Applicants should have knowledge of media and human rights issues in Latin America and the Caribbean, the ability to work independently and proactively, fluency in English and Spanish, and a commitment to press freedom.
- Monitor, document and respond to press freedom abuses in the region.
- Communicate regularly with journalists and human rights activists in the region.
- Research and write news alerts, letters of appeal, special reports and blog posts.
- Assist with planning and implementing of CPJ’s advocacy efforts.
- Translate content between English and Spanish or vet translations.
- Maintain the program’s social media accounts.
- Help vet Journalist Assistance cases for the region.
- Assist program coordinator with miscellaneous administrative tasks, such as impact reports and program plans.
- Knowledge of press freedom, human rights and media issues in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Fluency in Spanish and English (speaking, reading and writing) is required. Portuguese and/or French/Haitian Creole language skills are a plus.
- Fluency in social media is strongly preferred.
How to apply
Please e-mail a resume, cover letter, and three references to email@example.com. Please include “CSA Program Research Associate” in the subject line. Please also include a 500-word personal statement on why you consider press freedom to be important.
Due to volume, we cannot reply to individual inquiries on the status of applications. If you are selected as a candidate, CPJ will contact you directly to arrange an interview. No phone calls please.
CPJ is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Accepting applications until position is filled.