Assistant Director, Human Resources
- Degree Level
Frazer Center is currently seeking an Assistant Director of Human Resources. You can help us build our team and support our dedicated professionals so they feel valued, make a real difference in the lives of those we serve, and enjoy fun and a sense of purpose in their work. The Frazer Center is a nationally-accredited Atlanta nonprofit that has worked for the inclusion of people with disabilities in the Atlanta community since 1949. Each day at Frazer Center, 85 adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities participate in supported and customized employment and community life engagement programs, and 180 young children with and without disabilities learn together in an inclusive early childhood education program. Frazer Center also operates a social enterprise and community greenspace in the Frazer Forest and Cator Woolford Garden, located on its historic 39-acre campus. Frazer Center has a talented, committed staff of 85 early educators, direct support professionals, event managers, and administrators. We are seeking a collaborative leader and team player who is committed to Frazer Center’s vision of a more inclusive community.
CATEGORY: Regular, Full-time – Exempt
REPORTS TO: Chief Financial Officer
SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS: Supports and advises the executive leadership team in building a highly effective, motivated, and dedicated staff. Administers all areas of human resources, including informing employee policy development and ensuring its consistent implementation; facilitating recruitment, hiring, orientation and onboarding in collaboration with hiring managers; payroll processing; maintaining employee records; ensuring compliance with governmental reporting and labor laws; advising supervisors regarding disciplinary action; administering employee benefits such as 401k, health insurance, worker’s compensation, etc.; handling FMLA requests; staying abreast of market trends to make sure Frazer Center’s pay and benefits remain competitive; and all other related HR duties. Works with the executive leadership team to structure and implement professional development strategies that support strong employee performance, morale, and retention. Ensures Frazer Center’s staff and employment practices are always reflective of our inclusive mission, creating a welcoming place for all people, regardless of disability, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, or national origin.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Demonstrate commitment to the inclusive mission and welcoming values of the Frazer Center, and the rights of people with disabilities to live with dignity and respect. Assist in building a team that does the same.
- Support the directors of Children’s Program and Adult Program to ensure all personnel policies and practices mandated by licensing and accrediting agencies are met.
- Remain up-to-date on best practices and research in Human Resources and state and national labor laws and use this information to ensure Frazer Center remains compliant and our workforce is supported to do their best work.
- Maintain up-to-date employee handbook and related personnel forms. Recommend improvements as needed to leadership team.
- Assist supervisory staff in arranging for temporary and substitute employees as needed.
- Process bi-weekly payroll, ensuring employee records are up-to-date and accurate in collaboration with supervisors.
- Coordinate with supervisors on documentation and tracking of PTO, attendance, FMLA, and other leave for bereavement, jury duty, etc.
- Facilitate timely onboarding of new staff, including facilitation of employment offers, pre-employment screenings, benefits enrollment, IT/office set-up, first week welcome, and organization orientation. Coordinate with supervisor on specific orientation and onboarding related to position and department.
- Prepare and coordinate any accident reports and worker’s compensation reports. Handle follow-up insurance and worker’s compensation claims. Handle return-to-work and disability status.
- Manage employee benefits (401k, long term disability, major medical, etc.). Assist all employees with enrollment information, eligibility requirements, COBRA benefits, FMLA benefits, etc.
- Advise executive leadership team on development, implementation, and documentation of performance evaluation systems and professional development plans.
- Coordinate and participate in completion of terminations and exit interviews. Monitor unemployment claims and assist departments with appeals.
- Maintain updated, accurate, and complete employee files. Coordinate with other staff when files are required for licensing or accreditation review, and on documentation related to performance and other HR matters.
- Ensure new employees who will drive Frazer Center vehicles have documentation of clean driving records and valid licenses prior to offer of employment, are added to Frazer Center insurance, and report any changes to their license or driving history.
- Assist staff in planning for in-service professional development days.
- Facilitate opportunities for employee feedback, including but not limited to committees, surveys, and focus groups.
- Plan and facilitate efforts to build positive staff morale and to create a fun, supportive, and welcoming workplace.
- Advise hiring managers on strategies for interviewing, selecting, and onboarding new hires that ensure legal compliance and selection of well-qualified, stable employees who are a strong and positive fit for the organization and its culture.
- Anticipate potential HR issues that could impact performance or safety or could raise legal concerns. Alert CFO and other staff as appropriate. Offer advice on management strategies, documentation, and/or needed outside consultation to mitigate risk.
- Provide input to the creation, implementation, and evaluation of Frazer Center’s annual operating plans and strategic plans. Assist executive leadership staff and board in development of staffing strategies to meet programmatic objectives.
- Maintain and report on statistics related to retention, turnover, employee job satisfaction, and exit interviews.
- Maintain consistent, respectful communication with Frazer Center staff at all levels.
- Perform other duties as assigned..
Reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer and serves as a member of the Finance & Administration team. Assists and works in conjunction with the Frazer Center leadership team. Maintains respectful, supportive, professional relationships with all Frazer Center staff.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
Bachelor’s degree in human resources or related field. A minimum of five years progressive experience in HR management. High degree of emotional intelligence. Strong computer skills in Excel, payroll processing, and benefit management portals. Valid Georgia Driver’s License, criminal background check and drug screen required.
Other desired qualifications:
- Highly ethical, with an unwavering commitment to confidentiality
- Ability to work comfortably and respectfully within a diverse workforce
- Demonstrated leadership in mobilizing and energizing staff
- Excellent communication skills; Good listener
- Ability to translate strategy and vision into action and results
- Cool under pressure
- Positive and energetic with a genuine care for others
- Skilled in critical thinking and analysis; Excellent judgement and decision making skills
- Able to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment