Chief Financial Officer
- Position Type
- Full Time
Frazer Center is currently seeking a Chief Financial Officer. The Frazer Center is a nationally-accredited Atlanta nonprofit that has worked for the inclusion of people with disabilities in the Atlanta community since 1949. Each day at Frazer Center, 85 adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities participate in supported and customized employment and community life engagement programs, and 180 young children with and without disabilities learn together in an inclusive early childhood education program. Frazer Center also operates a social enterprise and community greenspace in the Frazer Forest and Cator Woolford Garden, located on its historic 39-acre campus. Frazer Center’s diverse funding base supports an operating budget of $4.7 million and a staff of 85, and generates a healthy reserve to support the organization’s stability. We are looking for a strong, collaborative leader who is committed to Frazer Center’s vision of a more inclusive community.
CATEGORY: Permanent Full-time – Exempt
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS: Develop and lead a team to support finance, business planning and budgeting, human resources, facilities, information technology, and administration for an organization comprised of multiple business lines with both private and government funding within regulated industries. Serve as a strategic partner to the Executive Director by providing critical financial and operational information. Make actionable recommendations to assist in implementing the strategic goals and objectives of the organization.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for overall financial management, including the review and approval of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reporting materials and metrics for the Executive Director and Board.
- Regularly review the organization’s businesses and propose ideas to protect and strengthen the Center’s operational and financial health.
- Assess and communicate the impact of potential changes on the various programs and on the organization as a whole. Serve as a resource to the directors in evaluating program changes and improvements.
- Present and interpret financial reports as needed, collaborating with the Board of Directors and management in decision-making processes.
- Oversee budgeting, financial forecasting, and cash flow analysis.
- Manage banking relationships and oversee movement of funds to maximize returns while ensuring funds are secure.
- Responsible for proper accounting of restricted funds.
- Maintain internal control safeguards and coordinate all audit and tax return activity.
- Facilitate financial aid process.
- Oversee Human Resources for approximately 85 employees, including payroll, benefits, and Affordable Care Act Compliance.
- Coordinate with department directors on compensation and benefit strategies. Analyze best practices and financial feasibility.
- Participate in annual benefit evaluation to ensure best balance between employee benefits and financial impact.
- Ensure consistent implementation of HR policies and procedures, including compliance with FMLA, ADA, Workers Comp, and resolution of disciplinary issues and terminations. Consult with employment attorneys when needed.
- Supervise Director of Facilities & Grounds in operation of 39-acre campus and 44,000 square foot educational and event facility, including a commercial kitchen.
- Oversee planning and implementation to meet information technology needs in coordination with IT consultant and facilities staff.
- Collaborate with Director of Facilities & Grounds in bid process and contract negotiations with facility-related vendors.
Board and Finance Committee
- Maintain strong communication with Board Treasurer and other Board officers and provide financial and analytical input as needed.
- Act as primary liaison to the Finance Committee, engaging the committee around issues, trends, and changes in the operating models of the various programs. Work closely with the committee to strengthen the Center’s financial position.
- Participate in Strategic Planning process; create financial models as needed.
- Assess departmental progress toward strategic planning goals.
- Create agenda and materials for Finance and Facilities Committee and Board meetings.
- Assist in establishing yearly committee objectives.
Administration / Risk Management
- Mentor and develop direct reports, including managing work allocation, training, problem resolution, performance evaluation, and the building of an effective team dynamic.
- Oversee front desk operations, maintaining a focus on Center-wide safety and security.
- Coordinate selecting and engaging outside consultants (attorneys, auditors, retirement fund advisors, etc.); maintain strong ongoing relationships.
- Negotiate annual insurance and workers compensation policies. Determine and implement cost-savings strategies.
- Review contracts and make recommendations prior to signing by Executive Director.
- Serve on behalf of the Executive Director as needed.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 25 pounds.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
Reports directly to the Executive Director. Assists and works in conjunction with the Frazer Center senior leadership team. Supervise Director of Human Resources, Director of Facilities & Grounds, Staff Accountant, and Front Desk Coordinator.
EXPERIENCE AND/OR EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
Undergraduate degree in business or accounting required. MBA or CPA desirable. 5-10 years experience in nonprofit accounting required. Valid Georgia Driver's License. criminal background check and drug screen required. Familiarity with Financial Edge/Raiser's Edge desirable.
Other desired qualifications:
- Ability to work comfortably and respectfully within a diverse workforce
- Demonstrated leadership in mobilizing and energizing staff
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to translate strategy and vision into action and results
- Cool under pressure
- Positive and energetic with a genuine care for others
- Skilled in critical thinking and analysis
- Able to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Commitment to the mission and values of the Frazer Center