Director of Philanthropy, part-time
- Experience Level
The Development Director is responsible for developing, planning, organizing, and directing all of Cancer Commons’ fundraising initiatives, including our major gifts program, our loyalty Pathfinder program, planned giving, and new initiatives. Cancer Commons is a bold Silicon Valley nonprofit located in Los Altos, CA that aims to provide every patient with access to the world's best cancer knowledge so they can make their best possible treatment decisions. We’re creating the only nonprofit expert knowledge network that strives to optimize outcomes for all people with cancer. The part-time Development Director oversees one part-time development officer and one part-time donor database manager (Salesforce), and reports to and works closely with the Executive Director as well as the Founder to ensure consistency of stated goals and objectives.
To qualify, you must:
· Embrace the mission of Cancer Commons.
· Have strong interpersonal and writing skills.
· Have knowledge of and experience in fundraising techniques, particularly major gift fundraising.
· Have experience tracking, recording, and maintaining contracts and working to fulfill internal contract obligations and external donor obligations/funds.
· Possess the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members, and other volunteers.
· Have the desire to get out of the office and build external relationships.
· Be a “self-starter” who is goal-driven to initiate donor visits and fund-raising calls.
· Be organized and exhibit “follow through” on tasks and goals.
· Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, and demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense, and good listening ability.
· Have a bachelor’s degree.
· Have 5 years minimum experience in professional fundraising.
· Be comfortable working in a start-up environment
· Be a connected, network-savvy individual
· Develop and execute an annual fundraising plan in coordination with the Executive Director of Cancer Commons.
· Meet prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish effective communications.
· Grow a major gifts program, including identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major donors.
· Oversee grant seeking, including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
· Direct the loyalty Pathfinder program, including mailings and annual fundraisers.
· Direct major fundraising drives.
· Coordinate fundraising special events.
· Conduct prospect research.
· Make public appearances/accept speaking engagements to share information about Cancer Commons with the broader community.
· Attend staff, internal operations, and fundraising meetings.
· Oversee fundraising database and tracking systems.
· Accurately track received donations.
· Work internally with accountant to track and record contracts and received funds.
· Ensure contract obligations are met internally and externally, and communicate those milestones and challenges throughout the process.
· Oversee creation of publications to support fundraising activities.
· Maintain gift-recognition programs.
· Demonstrate professional conduct at all times.
· Perform other related duties as requested.
Please send resume with cover letter.