Director of Philanthropy - Full Time
- Experience Level
This is an exciting unique opportunity for the right person: You are a seasoned non-profit fundraiser, forward-thinking strategic director of philanthropy ready for a new position with a cancer organization in a Silicon Valley start-up atmosphere. Your creativity and energy knows no bounds, and you enjoy working with a small group of talented personalities from various professional backgrounds, all dedicated to reinventing oncology. Cancer Commons is a bold Silicon Valley nonprofit located on the San Francisco peninsula that aims to provide every patient with access to the world's best cancer knowledge so they can make their best possible treatment decisions using advanced technology. The right candidate embraces change, loves building funding programs and developing relationships, and will have 5+ years of experience working with the full spectrum of funding vehicles including major donors.
To qualify, you must:
- Embrace the mission of Cancer Commons.
- Have strong interpersonal and writing skills.
- Have knowledge of and experience in fundraising techniques, particularly major gift fundraising.
- Have experience tracking, recording, and maintaining contracts and working to fulfill internal contract obligations and external donor obligations/funds.
- Possess the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members, and other volunteers.
- Have the desire to get out of the office and build external relationships.
- Be a “self-starter” who is goal-driven to initiate donor visits and fund-raising calls.
- Be organized and exhibit “follow through” on tasks and goals.
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, and demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense, and good listening ability.
- Have a bachelor’s degree.
- Have 5 years minimum experience in professional fundraising.
- Be comfortable working in a start-up environment
- Be a connected, network-savvy individual
- Develop and execute an annual fundraising plan in coordination with the Executive Director of Cancer Commons.
- Meet prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish effective communications.
- Grow a major gifts program, including identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major donors.
- Oversee grant seeking, including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
- Direct the loyalty Pathfinder program, including mailings and annual fundraisers.
- Direct major fundraising drives.
- Coordinate fundraising special events.
- Conduct prospect research.
- Make public appearances/accept speaking engagements to share information about Cancer Commons with the broader community.
- Attend staff, internal operations, and fundraising meetings.
- Oversee fundraising database and tracking systems.
- Accurately track received donations.
- Work internally with accountant to track and record contracts and received funds.
- Ensure contract obligations are met internally and externally, and communicate those milestones and challenges throughout the process.
- Oversee creation of publications to support fundraising activities.
- Maintain gift-recognition programs.
- Demonstrate professional conduct at all times.
- Perform other related duties as requested.
Please send resume with cover letter.