- Experience Level
BALLE (Business Alliance for Local Living Economies) supports a network of over 160 local economy leaders who are committed to building healthy, equitable local economies. Our network represents thousands of communities and conveners, entrepreneurs, investors and funders who are defying business as usual and building models to address our broken systems and bring a new economy to life. Read more here.
The Program Assistant is a key role at BALLE and joins an awesome team of people working on BALLE’s foundational leadership programs: the Local Economy Foundation Circle, Fellowship, and Network Engagement. This is a great entry level position. We ask a lot, but you won’t find anywhere else with this much opportunity to contribute all that you are and get to the next level of your career.
The day to day:
We are a fast-paced, start-up like environment. You will thrive if you are someone who loves action, problem-solving, and constantly looking for ways to deliver, build, contribute, and improve on processes and projects while having fun. You’ll participate in meetings where we are brainstorming on a new idea, designing new programs, or evolving existing services and curriculum to better support our Leadership Network. You’ll likely work on multiple projects at a time. Your manager will support you and provide guidance on given tasks and then it’s off to the races. This is a new position at BALLE so you will have the opportunity to shape this role and influence how it can best serve our programs. Your duties will include:
- Making recommendations about how our Program Team systems and processes could be improved to better serve our Network and make all our lives easier, happier, more organized, and more fun;
- Updating spreadsheets, Salesforce, and our website;
- Doing basic data analysis or pulling numbers for grant reports;
- Taking meeting notes and sending out action items;
- Scheduling meetings and sending out calendar invites; and
- Completing expense reports and doing basic financial reconciliations.
- Researching and writing dossiers on promising candidates for our Fellowship program or researching Foundation leaders who might be a good fit for our Local Economy Foundation Circle.
- Getting to know 160+ of the most edge-pushing, forward-thinking Local Economy Leaders in the US and Canada by reading about them, communicating with them via email and phone, and supporting them at events;
- Connecting Network leaders to one another and to resources that support their work; and
- Assisting with co-learning calls on topics related to economic inclusion, social justice, and/or entrepreneurship with Network leaders.
- Canvassing websites across the US and Canada for values-aligned immersion sites;
- Traveling to off-site leadership immersions at least two times per year;
- Drafting logistics emails;
- Serving as the main point of contact for retreat center staff at immersions;
- Coordinating carpools; and
- Navigating lodging preferences, dietary restrictions, and helping to create locally sourced catering menus.
- Leading staff meetings;
- Contributing to BALLE’s staff Culture team or Prioritizing Equity team; and
- Most of all, you’re learning and you’re getting connected. You’re learning what it takes to create healthy local economies that work for all. You’re learning about our one of a kind leadership development programs and how to train and develop the best of the best. You’re learning about what it means to build, resource, and connect a healthy, high functioning, super productive Network. And you’re getting woven into this powerful, kind, inspiring, and diverse network of leaders.
- Like the Alfred to our Batman, you have the ability to foresee people’s needs and happily take the initiative to do what it takes to meet them. You like to make everyone’s life easier and you look out for people.
- You’re comfortable with ambiguity and imperfection. You can hang working someplace where you’re often building while flying.
- You’re a self-starter and able to meet deadlines or communicate when you might fall behind.
- We work remotely two days a week or more depending on location. That means we need to be able to trust you to do your work especially when no one is watching.
- You know how to express yourself and communicate very well in verbal and written form.
- You’re a creative problem-solver, you have a positive, can-do attitude, and you know how to get things done.
- You’re attentive, you’re precise, you dot your i’s and cross your t’s and make sure you deliver your work with the end user in mind.
- You’re patient.
- You like people: meeting them, talking to them, working with them.
- You’re interested in learning about new ways to build community capital and rethink the role of finance and philanthropy in supporting healthy, equitable economies
- You like planning and have some experience in putting an event together.
- You know how to use a Mac and/or a PC and productivity software - Google Apps, MS Apps, etc.
- Experience in using Salesforce or Wordpress is a plus.
- You like to travel. A minimum of 3 weeks per year.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, BALLE does not discriminate against applicants or employees due to their race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical ability, previous incarceration, or length of time spent unemployed. We strive to reflect the diverse community we serve. Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
This is a full-time position. BALLE offers a competitive compensation package, medical, dental, and vision benefits, 403b plan, and the opportunity to work with an amazing team.
To apply, please send your resume and a cover letter that includes the following:
- Why you’re excited to work at BALLE.
- Demonstrated experience relevant to the role and how you meet the key criteria.
Send to Patricia McCarthy at email@example.com. This position will remain open until filled. No phone calls please.
More searches like this
- Administrative / Clerical Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in Oakland
- Event Planning Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in Oakland
- Program / Project Management Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in Oakland