- Experience Level
The Controller oversees the management of daily accounting functions and provides financial information prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). This position has overall responsibility for establishing and maintaining the organization’s accounting policies, practices and procedures. Responsibilities also include oversight of the annual audit and tax preparation for the organization and its affiliates. A successful candidate will have experience as a leader in a complex finance department and is interested in working for a mission-based conservation organization.
- Manage TPL’s accounting functions of revenue accounting - including the timing of revenue recognition and releases from restricted to unrestricted net assets, treasury - including cash management, accounts payable, and payroll.
- Develop accounting procedures and policies as necessary. Ensure compliance with organizational policies and advise others in the organization of policies and accounting methods.
- Supervise accounting staff, including hiring, training and maintaining adequate staffing levels, providing continuous coverage for all accounting functions.
- Administer Lawson accounting software, including system setup, processing, closing, documentation, and reporting for general ledger, accounts payable, and cash books.
- Advance, maintain and confirm adherence to internal control systems. Perform various internal control functions to ensure accuracy of financial data.
- Direct the preparation of quarterly financial statements and subsidiary schedules including the statement of financial position, statement of activities, statement of cash flows, schedule of functional expenses, etc.
- Conduct the annual audit process and act as principal contact for the external auditors and the audit committee.
- Oversee the preparation of federal and state income tax returns.
- Recommend and implement system improvements as necessary.
- Other relevant duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or equivalent work experience and education required. CPA desired.
- Experience in leading an audit required.
- Non-profit accounting desired.
- Experience in federal grants, contracts and audit desired.
- Experience in both public and private grants desired.
- Minimum 8 or more years of experience in a broad range of accounting functions, and 4 years managerial experience.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and motivate staff while maintaining a great working environment and cooperative relationships.
- Ability to work on complex assignments independently using a high level of judgment and initiative in resolving problems and developing recommendations, provide guidance to others.
- Highly proficient with a variety of accounting applications, with strong spreadsheet skills.
- Lawson and Cognos TM1 knowledge desirable.
- Requires excellent oral and written communications, organizational skills, and a broad understanding of financial analysis and budgeting.
- Ability to work under deadline pressure while maintaining attention to detail, diligence and commitment to excellence.