- Position Type
- Full Time
DEVELOPMENT MANAGER - FULL TIME - EXEMPT
Canopy is a growing environmental nonprofit that engages Midpeninsula residents in the growth and care of local urban forests, supporting healthy communities where people and nature thrive. We achieve our mission through community-based tree planting, tree care, education, and advocacy programs. For more information, visit canopy.org.
Canopy is seeking a Development Manager to lead the organization’s fundraising strategy, oversee fundraising activities, and cultivate meaningful partnerships with Canopy’s generous individual and institutional supporters.
Position title and opportunities are flexible depending on candidate strengths and experience; we welcome applications from seasoned development professionals as well as young and mid-level professionals looking to take the next step in their career. Canopy values professional growth and development for all team members. For the right candidate, this could be a Director-level role.
Equal opportunity employer: Canopy strives to engage, celebrate, and reflect the rich diversity of the communities we serve. We value inclusion and equity in our programs, leadership, and hiring practices.
Fundraising Planning and Strategy
- Primary responsibility for developing and tracking Canopy’s fundraising goals, and implementing strategies to achieve them.
- Update and implement Canopy’s annual fundraising and donor stewardship plan, consistent with the organization’s three-year strategic plan.
- Work with Executive Director and Board of Directors to increase Canopy’s fundraising capacity and ensure long-term financial sustainability.
- Collaborate with Executive Director and other development and communications staff to frame and deliver the organizational case for support in a clear, consistent, and compelling way.
- Oversee work of Canopy’s Administrative Associate to ensure successful completion of development goals.
- Stay connected to Canopy’s mission, program activities, and service areas, and participate proactively in achieving organizational goals and priorities.
Foundation and Institutional Giving Management
- Manage corporate and foundation grant programs, in partnership with Canopy’s Outreach & Operations Manager.
- Participate in local and state government grant application processes and reporting.
Donor Relationships and Annual Fund Management
- Uphold Canopy’s development ethic and adhere to the Donor Bill of Rights; function as the donor’s voice within the organization.
- Engage Canopy’s individual supporters throughout the donor cycle (prospect, cultivate, research, ask, thank, steward), fostering ongoing connection and partnership.
- Direct, coordinate, and execute donor appreciation and fundraising events; act as Canopy’s “thanker-in-chief”.
- Engage Canopy’s Board of Directors, Fund Development Committee, and key volunteers in fundraising activities; support them in outreach and cultivation of individual and major donors.
- Partner with communications and operations staff to plan, budget, and execute annual giving appeals, including personalized solicitation strategies, direct mail, online giving, and digital engagement.
- Develop and implement a planned giving program, including cultivation and stewardship activities for legacy donors.
Support General Marketing and Communications
- Participate as needed in Canopy’s general marketing and communication activities (primarily handled by Outreach & Operations Manager), including Canopy website content, social media, e-newsletters, printed collateral, media outreach, and other outreach materials.
- Spearhead development of Canopy’s annual impact report.
- Support program staff with integrating Canopy’s core messages and fundraising goals into day-to-day operations and program delivery.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years of fundraising or other relevant experience, or equivalent combination of education/experience
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and social skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to think strategically
- Strong project management and planning skills, with high attention to detail
- Ability to initiate and enjoy direct communication with donors, potential donors, and volunteers; customer-service orientation
- Experience with social justice or environmental justice fundraising preferred
- Ability to handle diverse, simultaneous tasks, meet deadlines, and attend to follow-through
- Strong computer skills and familiarity with donor database management
- Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends (e.g. for special events or board committee meetings)
Compensation commensurate with experience. Canopy refers to the Northern California Nonprofit Fair Pay Survey to ensure our salaries are competitive with industry standards. Robust benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance as well as vacation and sick leave.
To apply, please submit resume, cover letter, and 1-2 page writing sample to:
Position open until filled. For consideration in first round of evaluation, please apply by June 15, 2018.