Live/Work Volunteer at Buddhist Center in California
- Experience Level
Learn new skills, live in a community of like-minded people, eat home grown vegetarian food, help out with construction, gardening and cooking. You can take advantage of classes on Buddhism and yoga, participate in meditation and chanting and live in one of the most beautiful Buddhist centers in the world.
Seeking resident volunteers for a minimum of six months to work in construction, metal work and gardening. You need to be strong and physically able to work with your body all day - lifting, bending, being on your knees, on your feet, using hand tools and machines.
Although Odiyan has its foundations in Tibetan Buddhism, no religious affiliation is required to join the team. The ideal volunteer is open-minded, self-reflective and ready to engage deeply on both internally and with the work.
Living and working at Odiyan includes:
- Free home-cooked vegetarian meals and beverages
- Free housing in a large room with balcony
- Free WI-FI and domestic phone calls
- Free skill training in a wide range of trades and traditional arts
- Access to a healthy setting of nature, hiking trails, swimming, wide-open spaces, sacred beauty, fresh air, clean water, and nutritious food
- Free Classes on Development of Mind & Spirit: Tibetan yoga, Skillful Means, Buddhist study and more.
- Living allowance, $100 per month after the first month, $150 per month after six months.
You will have the opportunity to learn:
Electric and motor hand tools, welding, copper fabrication, metal cutting, polishing, finishing, painting, concrete work, building, electrical work, solar panel installation, plus all the steps and skills for creating life-size bronze statuary.
You will also participate in vegetable gardening, landscaping, maintenance and cleaning and we will teach you vegetarian cooking!
- Minimum age of 23 years old
- You must be strong, physically able for manual work for hours each day, including lifting, bending, kneeling
- Minimum commitment is six months. We prefer nine months.
- Couples welcome to apply.
- We cannot accept children or animal companions.
- We are a smoke and drug-free community.
If you have a passion for the physically active lifestyle, self-knowledge and giving to a greater vision, Odiyan may be the place for you! The community life, classes, and on-going work projects are directed to the benefit of yourself and all humanity.
For a more 'inside' view of Odiyan see us on Facebook: OdiyanBuddhistRetreatCenter.
email@example.com To start the application process, email your resume,a short statement about why this opportunity interests you and clear photo of yourself. If you have any questions don't hesitate to call our volunteer office 510-981-1987. We look forward to hearing from you!
More searches like this
- Animal Care Religion / Faith-based Volunteer jobs in San Francisco
- Conservation Religion / Faith-based Volunteer jobs in San Francisco
- Facilities / Equipment Religion / Faith-based Volunteer jobs in San Francisco
- Food Service Religion / Faith-based Volunteer jobs in San Francisco
- Health / Medical Religion / Faith-based Volunteer jobs in San Francisco