Controller / Director of Finance
- Experience Level
TechBridge is growing by expand into new cities, deploy new national solutions for nonprofits, and launching new programs to bridge the gap between poverty and prosperity. Therefore, TechBridge is hiring a Controller to lead our accounting duties and staff, while supporting our continued mission and financial growth.
The Controller’s primary job function is manage the accounting group to ensure accurate, effective and efficient financial operations for TechBridge, while providing the financial information necessary to make sound business decisions. The position reports to the CEO and works closely with the other members of the leadership team to ensure operational and mission excellence.
Interested candidates should apply by emailing a resume with a brief description of qualifications and interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a reference to this position in the subject header. References will be requested for final candidates.
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Oversee the operations of the accounting department while ensuring accurate and timely results
- Personnel manager for staff accountant
- Serve as part of the leadership team and provide leaders with relevant and insightful financial information relevant to their specific operational and business decision needs
- Ensure accounts payable are paid in a timely manner
- Ensure accounts receivable are collected promptly
- Monitor cash balance while guiding business operations to ensure achievement of cash targets
- Process payroll including salary adjustments, bonuses and variable compensation
- Complete monthly bank reconciliations
- Collect revenue and expense expectations to maintain accurate forecasts
- Maintain the chart of accounts and the accounting system
- Maintain a system of controls and review over accounting transactions to ensure accuracy, security and compliance
- Issue timely and complete financial statements and board reports
- Calculate and prepare financial and operating metrics
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
- Provide management with location P&L’s, cost reports and other information useful for operations
- Provide financial analyses as needed, in particular for pricing decisions, cost analysis, and investments
- Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations
- Manage the production of the annual budget and forecasts
- Provide financial information for the annual report
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit
- Monitor grant expenditures and compliance with grant obligations
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
The following competencies are critical for the successful execution of responsibilities:
- Managerial Experience: Demonstrated managerial leadership in multiple positions with a proven ability to provide vision and inspiration to team members, develops workable plans, set expectations, monitor delegated activities, and provide recognition for results.
- Communication Skills: Extensive experience in written and verbal communication, including reports, leading meetings, preparing presentations, and other forms of internal and external communication. The candidate must be a professional and effective steward for TechBridge’s image and brand in all interactions.
- Analytical Skills: Demonstrated success in roles requiring the identification and resolution of complex issues in a timely manner. The appropriate applicant can show the ability to skillfully gather and analyze information, solicit feedback, and use reason and deep experience to identify root causation and formulate effective solutions.
- Strong Initiative: The proper candidate must excel at setting and maintaining a high standard of excellence for him or herself, with minimal need for supervision to drive individual performance. Initiative includes the willingness and ability to accurately self-analyze strengths and weaknesses, seek and develop new skills, seek opportunities for increased responsibilities, and ask for assistance when needed.
- Professional and Personal Integrity: A long history of treating others with respect and consideration while accepting responsibility for one’s own actions. As a leader, the applicant must honestly and impartially evaluate successes and failures, accept and act upon feedback, and place the success of mission and team above personal ambitions. The actions and decisions of the leader must build trust with the team, the board and the community.
- Flexibility: Technology, by its nature, is a rapidly changing environment. Therefore, the leader must excel at working in a rapidly changing environment. The ability to effectively multitask and change tasks quickly is essential. Leading change requires the ability to effectively overcome challenges, adapt approaches as circumstances change, and project confidence based on experience and leadership.
Candidates must have the following qualifications for consideration for the role:
- 10+ years of accounting experience in a nonprofit or corporate environment
- 3+ years as a Controller with a successful nonprofit or corporation
- Prefer audit experience with professional services firm or equivalent
- Proficiency with multi-dimensional accounting systems and cost accounting
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, specifically PowerPoint, Excel for reports and analysis
- Bachelor’s degree, with MBA a plus
- Certified Public Accountant
- Ability to occasionally work evenings and weekends as needed.
TechBridge will compensate the successful candidate at a level that is consistent with leading non-profit organizations and with the candidate’s experience and skills. The benefits package includes medical, dental, disability coverage, company contributions to retirement, and holiday/sick leave.
The TechBridge mission is to break the cycle of generational poverty through technology. Our approach is to transform operations for nonprofits on the frontline of poverty; connect agencies so each becomes a building block in a person's unique path to prosperity; expand data collection, sharing and analysis; and use analysis to allocate services, address gaps, and measure long-term impact. Since 2000, we’ve provided technology and operations consulting and services to thousands of nonprofits across the US and the world. Through this experience we discovered that dedicating ourselves to poverty alleviation in the US presented the best opportunity for technology to drive transformational good. For more information please visit www.techbridge.org.
TechBridge is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.