Grants and Communications Manager
- Experience Level
The Grants and Communications Manager is a full time position that is divided equally between these two interconnected areas of responsibility. A key contributor in shaping the public voice and image of the organization, the successful candidate will have the ability to create a range of compelling grants and marketing/communication assets to help Girls Inc. communicate its impact with funders and the public at large. For grants management, the position will report to the Senior Director of Institutional Giving. For the marketing/communications duties, this position will report to the Chief Development Officer.
Major Duties and Responsibilities ‐ Grants (50% of position)
● Manage a portfolio of 60 funders, ensuring that all upcoming application and report deadlines, as well as compliance requirements, are completed and documented.
● In close collaboration with the Senior Director of Institutional Giving, maintain and improve grants management systems.
● In close collaboration with the Senior Director of Institutional Giving, analyze new grant opportunities, and create application strategies that meet the organization’s needs and maximize its competitiveness.
● Generate near‐final proposals, budgets and support materials, making revisions as needed, and submitting the final application package by deadline.
● Field general funder communications, updating appropriate staff members.
● Support the Evaluations and Grants Manager to complete funder reporting requirements.
Major Duties and Responsibilities ‐ Communications (50% of position)
● In close partnership with agency leaders, develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance Girls Inc.’s brand identity and increase its visibility, and position agency leaders with targeted, high‐level external audiences, including the media and key influencers.
● Develop and maintain a communications plan and calendar to support consistent communication across channels.
● Develop high‐quality, timely content across media (including website, newsletter, social media, print collateral, and press releases), prioritizing girls’ power, voice and experience.
● Edit other external‐facing communications as needed to ensure cohesive messaging and mission‐driven communication.
● Increase data‐driven marketing and communications through market research and tracking and measuring network engagement and growth.
● Minimum of three years of Grants experience, including writing, securing and managing governmental, foundation and corporate funding.
● Minimum of three years of Communications experience, including marketing, public relations, public affairs or related field.
● Bachelor’s Degree in English, public relations/affairs, marketing, communications, journalism, or related field required; Master’s Degree preferred.
● Superlative writing, editing, and proofreading skills; ability to organize and present a logical, persuasive, and compelling case or narrative.
● Ability to quickly produce highest quality writing for a variety of audiences and media/formats and across a variety of print and digital communications media.
● Adept at building and presenting budgets as well as gathering and incorporating research data and quantitative and qualitative program evaluation metrics.
● Excellent project management skills, successfully managing competing priorities and deadlines to produce quality results on time with attention to detail.
● Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work both collaboratively and independently.
● Knowledge of and commitment to girl‐centered programs, public school education supports, and mental health services desired.
● Proficient in Microsoft Office and Raiser’s Edge a plus
Salary and Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. Girls Inc. offers employer paid medical benefits, a 403B plan and voluntary vision, dental and life insurance. Flexible spending and pre-tax parking and transit plans are also available.
Girls Inc. of Alameda County is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. At Girls Inc., promoting, celebrating, and supporting diversity is core to our mission. Individuals are considered without regards to race, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender expression, religion, color, veteran status, disability, marital status, or ancestry. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.