The Staff Accountant is a major support role for the Controller who oversee the business operations of the company including accounting & finance. The Staff Accountant will report directly to the Controller and will work closely with the high-energy and fast paced Administrative/Finance team to ensure business procedures are adhered to and also ensure the administrative & finance processes function adequately and supports program operations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain and monitor internal controls and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets vs actual expenditures.
- Assist Controller in all month-end close processes including: Cash Reconciliations, Fixed Assets, Prepaids and Receivables reporting through complete account reconciliations.
- Maintain and report monthly forecast changes.
- Communicate as needed with external auditors including preparing necessary audit schedules.
- Process weekly payroll through ADP TotalSource, our PEO.
- Prepare Daily Cash Tracker and Balance Sheet FLUX.
- Assist Controller with annual filings for the Secretary of State, Insurance Audits (Worker’s Comp & Property), IRS Form 720, Form 5500, 1042, Sales Tax, unclaimed property and other state and federal filings as needed.
- Additional duties as needed.
- Attention to detail
- Honesty and good judgment
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Positive attitude
- Consistency and reliability
- Highly organized
- High tolerance for stress
- Strong initiative and self-starter
- Intuitive decision making
- Critical thinking, problem solving and results oriented
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business management, or related discipline; or three years of work experience in accounting and finance.
- Strong grasp & understanding of the reconciliation process required. Experience preferred.
- Experience with non-profit organizations preferred.
- A strong understanding of fund accounting for non-profit organizations is preferred.
- Some experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development & analysis, accounts payable & receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments.
- Technology savvy with knowledge of accounting & reporting software; Knowledge of Abila/MIP Fund Accounting & Tessitura preferred.
- Willingness and desire to learn and implement new technologies.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel required.
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers.
- Ability to sit at a desk for up to and over eight hours per day.
- Ability to communicate using a phone and headset.
- Must perform the functions of the position in a safe manner.