Paralegal and Research Specialist
- Experience Level
Full-Time Paralegal and Research Specialist - Multiple Locations Considered
Oakland, CA; Portland, OR; Denver, CO; St. Petersburg, FL
General Position Overview: The Center for Biological Diversity seeks a full-time Paralegal and Research Specialist for our Environmental Health Program. The Environmental Health Program works to protect biodiversity and human health from toxic substances.
The Paralegal and Research Specialist will provide paralegal, administrative and research support to the attorneys in the program. The working environment is fast-paced, exciting and supportive. The position is full-time and will be located in our Oakland, Portland, St. Petersburg or Denver office.
Applicants without paralegal experience or qualifications will not be considered, nor will applications that do not contain a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three to five references as a single PDF file.
- Preparation of legal documents, including completing tables of contents and authorities for briefs, proofreading, formatting and cite checking.
- Assistance in calendar management for administrative actions and court filings.
- Maintenance of electronic databases for filings and program actions.
- Filing and serving legal documents and maintenance of legal dockets, including ensuring compliance with court rules in a variety of state and federal jurisdictions, e-filing, making courtesy copies, corresponding with Clerks' offices and related tasks.
- Performing online research, including legal and scientific research.
- Assistance with drafting comment letters, including retrieval of online references.
- Maintenance of a legal library, including updating of court rules and reference material, in coordination with other Center paralegals.
- Preparation and indexing of administrative records and appendices/excerpts of record in litigation.
- Assisting with the planning and handling of internal and external meetings, travel and conference arrangements.
- Assisting with preparation for events such as public presentations, rallies and hearings.
Essential qualities, qualifications and skills:
- A university degree. Paralegal certificate preferred, but significant experience as a paralegal or legal assistant is acceptable in lieu of a paralegal certificate.
- A minimum of one year of experience in a litigation or research environment.
- Strong organizational skills and high attention to detail.
- Ability and willingness to complete legal secretarial tasks.
- Intermediate level or above skills with Microsoft Excel, Adobe Pro and Microsoft Word.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Strong communication skills to facilitate working with attorneys in offices throughout the country.
- An ability to multi-task efficiently and to work well as part of an effective team.
- A strong work ethic and a demonstrated commitment to environmental protection.
This position is non-exempt and will pay at $25/hour.
Please apply on line by uploading a cover letter, a resume, a writing sample and three to five references as a single PDF file. The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Center for Biological Diversity deeply values, and is committed to sustaining and promoting, both biological and cultural diversity. We welcome, embrace and respect diversity of people, identities and cultures. We are committed to fostering an organizational culture of diversity and inclusion. The Center believes staff and board diversity is critical to saving life on Earth.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
More searches like this
- Conservation Science / Technology $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in Oakland
- Health / Medical Science / Technology $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in Oakland
- Legal Science / Technology $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in Oakland
- Research Science / Technology $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in Oakland