Communications Operations Manager
- Experience Level
PPIC seeks an energetic and resourceful Communications Operations Manager to support the day-to-day operations of the communications group by sharing project timelines and performance metrics, building budgets and tracking expenses, and assisting with the management of events, meetings, and special projects. The position works with colleagues across the institute—president’s office, research, centers, finance and administration, government affairs, and development—to ensure a high level of coordination, communication, and planning. This full-time position is based in San Francisco and reports to the Vice President of Communications.
- Budget and expense tracking
- Develops and routinely monitors annual communications budget covering publications, conferences & events, outreach, and web expenses.
- Works with finance staff to process invoices, report expenses, and approve timesheets.
- Advises research administration and development staff on communications elements of project budgets.
- Project management
- Manages communications work plan, a detailed schedule of product releases, events, and other activities. Works with publications manager and research administration to maintain and update project deadlines.
- Develops project management tools for special projects and initiatives. Assists in the management of these projects.
- Performance measurement
- Manages performance dashboard. Tracks publications and events output, event attendance, email campaign response rates, media citations, web traffic, social media reach, and other key measures.
- Develops and updates dashboards of project performance metrics.
- Department administration & event support
- Facilitates and organizes communications group workflow through meetings, timelines, and regular project updates.
- Provides support for PPIC briefings and conferences before, during, and after events. Organizes meetings and special events. Some travel is required.
- Assists with the preparation and distribution of PPIC publications and outreach materials as needed.
- Provides support to the director of communications as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent plus a minimum five years of experience in a communications-related function.
- Strong organizational and people skills to effectively manage key internal and external relationships.
- Demonstrable project management experience. Ability to manage multiple tasks under strict deadlines.
- Experience working with budgets and developing financial models.
- Superior written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong computer skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Adobe Acrobat.
- Experience with Salesforce CRM and Google Analytics.
- Event planning experience preferred
PPIC values the wide variety of backgrounds and experiences of our staff, and key elements in the consideration of qualified candidates include excellence; diversity of talents, backgrounds, and viewpoints; and a strong fit with PPIC’s mission, values, and goals.