Finance Manager for Non Profit
- Experience Level
The Finance Manager is responsible for the financial management of the non-profit organization Hesperian Health Guides, including oversight of day-to-day accounting; for contributing to organizational strategy discussions; for managing Hesperian’s human resources function, including staff benefits programs and personnel policies; for managing the book order fulfillment department; and for managing Hesperian’s office in Berkeley.
The Finance Manager supervises the Staff Accountant, Fulfillment Coordinator, and Customer Relations Coordinator. This is a 75% to full-time position reporting to the Executive Director. The Finance Manager is a member of the Management Team and is required to have financial management skills and experience.
Beginning with the classic Where There Is No Doctor in in the early 1970s, Hesperian Health Guides has developed and distributed health materials now available in over 80 languages. We work with hundreds of partners who help us update and field test materials to ensure they are accurate and easy-to-use. We take all this work to scale with fewer than 20 paid staff and an ever-increasing number of volunteers, currently at over 200. Hesperian is a 501c3 nonprofit, supported by individual and institutional donors, and revenue from the sale of books and digital tools.
Our resources are used by community health workers, midwives, Peace Corps volunteers, missionaries, teachers, health educators and community organizers to improve health around the world. Hundreds of government agencies and nonprofit organizations rely on Hesperian Health Guides to provide practical and comprehensive information on a wide range of health issues – from disability rights to women’s health, from protecting local ecosystems to training the next generation of health workers.
Functions, duties, and responsibilities
Financial management (60%)
- Oversee and ensure integrity of financial records and reports, through appropriate policies, procedures, systems, and controls.
- Manage Hesperian’s cash, including bank and investment accounts, under direction from the Executive Director, Treasurer, and Finance Committee; prepare regular cashflow projections.
- Supervise Staff Accountant and ensure that bookkeeping processes are functioning properly.
- Manage annual budget process, working with Executive Director and department managers.
- Oversee preparation of monthly and quarterly financial reports that include monitoring of income and expenditure against budget, and commentary on significant issues.
- Liaise with fundraising department to assist with grant budgeting, reconciliation of donor income, and to report on restricted funding.
- Manage accounting for inventory, in partnership with fulfillment department.
- Manage preparation of the annual financial statements and the audit, and coordinate with the auditor regarding the preparation of form 990, and other state and federal statutory filings.
- Oversee the collection and payment of sales tax as required.
Strategic management (10%)
- As a member of the Management Team, participate in research and analysis to develop Hesperian’s business model.
Human resources management (15%)
- Oversee staff payroll (implemented through an external payroll agency) and associated state and federal reporting requirements.
- Manage employee benefits programs, including group health insurance, dental and vision insurance, life insurance, workers’ compensation insurance, 403b pension plan, and flexible spending accounts.
- Maintain the Hesperian Employee Handbook and propose updates as needed.
- Maintain Hesperian’s Injury and Illness Prevention Program.
- Support the Executive Director on human resource matters in general.
- Coordinate the annual performance review process for all staff.
Fulfillment management (10%)
- Supervise the Fulfillment Coordinator, including oversight of inventory management and book order shipping processes.
- Supervise the Customer Service Coordinator, including oversight of customer orders.
- Ensure complete and accurate integration of data from order fulfillment into the accounting system.
Office and facilities management (5%)
- Ensure that the office facilities provide a safe working environment, and maintain the security of the organization’s physical assets.
- Ensure appropriate general liability, property, and Directors and Officers insurance coverage.
- Act as Documents Custodian in line with Hesperian’s Document Retention Policy.
- Liaise with the IT Administrator on accounting software functioning and backup.
Skills and qualifications
- Four or more years of experience in financial management and accounting
- Strong financial analysis skills, including experience of creating budgets
- Two or more years of supervisory experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a wide range of team members
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to meet deadlines in a fast-moving environment
- Enthusiasm for Hesperian’s work, mission, and philosophy
- Nonprofit financial management experience
- Experience with human resources and benefits administration
- Experience in health or international development
Starting annual salary from $60,000 to $75,000 (FTE) depending on experience. We are a family-friendly organization with excellent health, vision, dental and other benefits.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com, with the subject line “Finance Manager Application”. No calls, please.
The position will remain open until filled. Hesperian is an equal opportunity employer, and we strongly encourage people of color and people with disabilities to apply. Hesperian policy prohibits discrimination based on race, color, creed or religion, sex, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, veteran status, genetic characteristics or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
For further information about Hesperian Health Guides, see our website at www.hesperian.org.