Not-for-profit organization in the workforce development sector is seeking a staff accountant with an advanced proficiency in using QuickBooks and a comprehensive understanding of accounting principles and concepts. Candidate must have a bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field combined with three year’s relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience in accounting or finance. The ideal candidate will be proficient in spreadsheet development, data entry, and account analysis, and will be responsible for maintaining the general ledger, inputting journal entries, performing bank and other reconciliations, assisting the director with financial statement preparation, and supporting other finance department staff. The candidate will have effective communication skills, manage time wisely, be a problem solver and critical thinker, and enjoy working as a team while demonstrating individual accountability.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Maintain general ledger
- Maintain and balance accounts; verify data.
- Enter WIOA revenue and expense activity as journal entries to general ledger on a monthly basis by funding source
- Enter general and adjusting journal entries.
- Maintain the Fixed Asset and associated depreciation schedules, generates monthly detail for general ledger entries; ensure proper recording of new purchases and disposals.
- Record deposits and disbursements
- Maintain supporting detail schedules for receivables and payables
- Perform monthly and annual general ledger closing
Assist Director in preparing financial statements & budgets
- Generate monthly financial statements (Balance Sheet, Budget vs. Actual P&L) in QuickBooks
- Assist Business & Finance Director with variance explanations
- Assist Business & Finance Director with budget preparation
Perform account analysis, research discrepancies and evaluate accuracy
- Reconcile general ledger accounts
- Develop spreadsheet reports; verify information.
- Answer accounting and financial questions by researching and interpreting data
- Perform monthly bank reconciliations
Generate information for monitoring visits and audits
- Prepare requested audit and tax schedules
- Proficiency in:
- Time Management – Ability to work under continuous deadlines, ensuring work is completed in a timely manner with accuracy, possessing an attention to detail and an ability to manage multiple projects.
- Comprehension - Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, laws and/or governmental regulations.
- Reasoning - Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Technology – Concrete understanding and experience using QuickBooks and EXCEL with familiarity with other business programs