Staff Counsel, Public Advocacy
- Degree Level
Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) seeks a passionate and creative lawyer with a mix of public advocacy, policy, and/or legislative experience to fill a newly created Staff Counsel position.
CREW is a non-profit dedicated to rooting out government corruption and fighting the influence of money in politics. We need someone who’s quick on their feet, detail-oriented, and cares deeply about having an ethical, accountable government.
As CREW takes legal action to hold the current administration, Congress, and others accountable for conflicts of interest, ethics abuses, and violations of law, you will be on the frontlines of developing policy proposals and taking action to demand an end to legal and ethical violations and a return to an ethical and lawful government.
- Support the attorneys leading CREW’s board and other high-profile partners as they publicly promote ethics in government and reduce the influence of money in politics.
- Conduct original legal research and writing, draft op-eds, white papers and other publications, and coordinate between board members, CREW staff, and outside partners.
- Develop advocacy and educational materials that will empower members of Congress, CREW’s supporters, and the public to make policy changes that will make government more ethical and accountable.
- Serve as a primary contact for coalition-building activities, engaging with congressional staff and organizations across the political spectrum and across the country.
- Leverage CREW’s legal work, including on issues such as emoluments and ethics violations at the highest levels, for positive policy change.
A great candidate has:
- J.D. and bar membership (required).
- 3-8 years of legal experience, which could include a judicial clerkship.
- Experience and/or significant interest in formulating policy at the federal, state or local level.
- An interest and/or experience in ethics and money in politics issues.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks.
- The ability to work collaboratively.
- Excellent written communication skills, including experience writing for legal and non-legal audiences.
- Initiative to identify needs, take charge of tasks, and get things done in an exciting, fast-paced environment.
How to Apply
Please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your last name and “Staff Counsel, public advocacy” in the subject line. No phone calls, please. We are only able to respond to candidates we are contacting for an interview.
CREW is an equal opportunity employer who values diversity in our workplace and in our work. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. We strongly encourage candidates from all groups and communities to apply.