Pantry Lead Initiatives (Temporary)
- Experience Level
The SF-Marin Food Bank’s mission is to end hunger in San Francisco and Marin. We are the primary source of food for over 450 nonprofit and faith-based organizations of all sizes that provide meals, snacks and groceries to people in need. We will distribute over 48 million pounds of food this year. Our largest initiative is enriching and supporting a coalition of over 240 pantries offering groceries to more than 30,000 households weekly. Some pantries are open to the community and others target families, older adults, immigrants and residents of subsidized and supportive housing. We offer healthy snacks to agencies and schools serving thousands of children daily. We provide a 3-day supply of groceries to individuals and families faced with a crisis. We provide sustaining groceries to homebound older adults. We host a range of nutrition education programs and lastly, we provide multi-lingual outreach, education and application assistance for the CalFresh program (formerly known as food stamps).
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Join a collaborative team of motivated individuals designing and supporting food programs throughout San Francisco and Marin counties. We work with human service and faith-based organizations to bridge the gap between millions of dollars of donated foods and thousands of families and individuals struggling to make ends meet in two of the counties with the highest costs of living in the world. This position is a full-time, non-exempt, temporary position through August 2018. Candidates should have experience working in social services and low-income communities in either San Francisco or Marin. Bilingual Cantonese preferred. Position requires ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule, including periodic and possibly recurring evening and weekend hours.
The Pantry Lead will coordinate or co-coordinate a team of mostly volunteers to distribute food in the community through several initiatives that target families with children (Healthy Children Summer Continuation Pantries) as well as adults and seniors on pantry waiting lists in high need neighborhoods (Transitional Pantry). The position will also lead volunteers to distribute produce at various community locations (Pop-up Produce Stand Initiative).
Healthy Children Summer Continuation Pantries: The Food Bank (FB) will open four Summer Continuation Pantries, which provide access to nutritious, healthy, seasonal groceries to SFUSD families during the summer months. This will ensure that children whose school pantry closes during the summer will have year round access.
Transitional Pantry: The FB will open one transitional pantry to provide temporary access to a farmer’s market style distribution in a neighborhood that currently has a lengthy waitlist. This effort will provide access until a viable community partner is identified.
Pop-up Produce Stand Initiative: Our Pop-Up Produce program provides a small bag of seasonal produce in a variety of locations throughout SF and Marin. These one-time distributions serve to connect people that may be unfamiliar with the Food Bank and our services to food programs.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other Food Bank staff to distribute food through a variety of different models.
- Supervise volunteers to ensure that they are motivated and provide excellent customer service to participants.
- Maintain an orderly and positive atmosphere at food distributions.
- Troubleshoot any issues that arise with participants, volunteers or the community.
- Meet weekly with the Program Manager discuss successes and challenges
- Load/unload and drive Food Bank cargo van to smaller distributions
- Provide support and guidance to food pantries run by other agencies as needed
Other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to work and interact well with individuals (staff, volunteers and participants) from a variety of socioeconomic backgrounds in a culturally diverse environment.
- Experience and skill in conflict resolution, de-escalation techniques and having difficult conversations
- Interest in hunger or food issues
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, demonstrate professional ethics and diplomacy at all times
- Direct service experience.
- Proven leadership, delegation, and communication skills.
- Volunteer management experience; enthusiastic and outgoing
- Bilingual Cantonese preferred.
- Proficiency with MS Office and data entry.
- Ability to lift food boxes/bags ranging from 30 lbs. to 50 lbs. when needed.
- Work performed at different sites throughout San Francisco and Marin based in social service agencies, schools, churches, and recreation centers.
- When helping distribute food, staff is occasionally required to work outside in inclement weather.
- Administrative work is performed at the SF-Marin Food Bank in the administrative offices.
SALARY: Competitive pay based on qualifications and experience
TO APPLY: Please submit cover letter and resume to: email@example.com; Use “Pantry Lead-Temp, your name” in the subject line.
The SF-Marin Food Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of Color, LGBTQI, and people with disabilities strongly encouraged to apply.
More searches like this
- Direct Service / Social Service Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $40,000 - $49,999 Temporary / Seasonal jobs in San Francisco
- Food Service Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $40,000 - $49,999 Temporary / Seasonal jobs in San Francisco
- Program / Project Management Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $40,000 - $49,999 Temporary / Seasonal jobs in San Francisco
- Social Work / Counseling Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $40,000 - $49,999 Temporary / Seasonal jobs in San Francisco
- Volunteer Services Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $40,000 - $49,999 Temporary / Seasonal jobs in San Francisco