- Experience Level
Reports to: Development Manager
Works with: Funder Organizing Department
Location: This is a full time telecommuting position.
Overview: Groundswell Fund is the largest funder of the U.S. Reproductive Justice (RJ) movement. For more than a decade, we have enabled foundations and individual donors to increase the impact of their giving by offering a different kind of philanthropic model. Different in who we are: A program staff of women of color who come directly out of community and labor organizing and have a combined 70+ years of grassroots organizing and civic engagement experience within communities of color; a board comprised of grassroots leaders shaping strategy alongside funders and donors. Different in who we support: Women of color (WOC), low income women, and transgender people who are organizing at the grassroots. Different in how we support the field: not just through grants, but also through capacity-building support focused on boosting grassroots power, and funder organizing that lifts up our grantees to a larger audience of funders and donors who can move resources to their work, whether or not these resources come through our doors. Groundswell moves at least 80 percent of the dollars that come in our doors back out to the field.
Since 2003, Groundswell has moved more than $40 million to the RJ movement in grants and capacity building support to RJ organizations; increased the giving of dozens of national and local foundations; and helped bring thousands of new individual donors into the RJ movement. Today, we support more RJ organizations than any other foundation in the country. Our grantees have moved from trepidation about participating in the political process to mobilizing thousands of voters and even seeing their own members run for office. They have been instrumental in the passage of more than 220 pro-RJ policies at the state and local level and in blocking many regressive policies, and they have built a growing grassroots base of support for RJ across the U.S.
Fundraising Vision: Groundswell is committed to cultivating a vibrant and engaged, multiracial and multigenerational community of donors and funders who connect their values to their resources. We believe generosity and intention go hand in hand with the success of the RJ movement and that giving at every level empowers individuals, families and entire communities to create a better world. Groundswell’s values around authentic and respectful partnerships undergird our relationships with grantees and donors and funders alike. Our mission to support grantee organizations as they build their grassroots power mirrors our fundraising mission; supporting the power of our donors through learning about RJ and collaborating for greater collective impact.
The Development Associate works closely with the Development Manager and the Executive Director to support the growth and stewardship of Groundswell’s vibrant and engaged community of funders, donors, and philanthropic partners. The Development Associate will take a leadership role in the Funder Organizing Department primarily in regards to development and fundraising, with some support to the communications activities of the department as needed. Responsibilities include: donor engagement, including supporting annual and special events; representing the organization in 1:1 relationship building with donors; donor and grants management; high-quality content production for grant reports and proposals as well as donor-facing collateral; supporting briefings and funder meetings; and handling key administrative aspects of foundation and donor relations management, including data management, CRM data maintenance and improvement, tracking and documenting contributions, writing and copyediting content for, and managing communications to funders and donors via direct mail, email, social media, and general correspondence. This position requires an adaptive, flexible, energetic individual with a high degree of professionalism; oral and written communication skills, and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
DONOR MANAGEMENT & ENGAGEMENT
- Support annual fundraising planning.
- Manage a portfolio of donors including cultivation, retention, solicitation, data management, and engaging donors in learning opportunities about Groundswell’s work.
- Creatively design procedures, processes and systems to support our donor engagement program.
- Maintain Groundswell’s donor database to ensure all donor information is current and well organized, ensuring data integration and quality control functions in the database.
- Manage direct mail, including the solicitation and procurement of strategic mailing lists, the production of content for mail pieces, and distribution.
- Ensure that all donor inquiries and communications receive a timely and professional response from the appropriate staff member.
- Generate reports to monitor major gifts and other funding programs.
- Design and implement annual fundraising events to raise funds and expand Groundswell’s donor community.
- Design and implement new donor recruitment strategies.
- Scheduling, filing, and other administrative tasks for the Funder Organizing Department.
- Additional activities and initiatives pertaining to donor engagement as identified.
FOUNDATION FUNDRAISING & GRANTS MANAGEMENT
- Conduct and synthesize research on institutional funders, funder networks and affinity groups.
- Manage portfolio of small to mid-size grants, working with Development Manager to ensure that all proposals, reports, and other requested materials are submitted in a timely manner and in compliance with requirements.
- Engage Groundswell staff and partners, utilize data and narrative information, and apply a rigorous strategic analysis of the wider political landscape to produce quality report and proposal content, persuasively communicating Groundswell’s work to potential and existing funders.
- Support the planning and execution of annual funder briefings.
- Ensure that all funder inquiries and communications receive a timely and professional response from the appropriate staff member.
- Grants management including documentation of proposal/report submission processes, funder relationships, and funder communications in database/file storage platform.
- Write or copy edit content for donor and funder communications via mail, email, and social media.
- Collaborate with other Development staff and Communications staff to ensure messaging consistency across funder communications.
- Collaborate with other Development staff and Communications staff on projects that amplify Groundswell’s messaging and models to new donors and funders in creative and compelling ways.
- Content development for op-eds or other format analysis pieces to raise Groundswell’s profile inside and outside of philanthropic sectors.
- Other duties: All other duties as assigned.
We are seeking candidates who are results-oriented and driven by a strong commitment to movement-building at an ambitious scale. Experience in/knowledge of the philanthropic sector is a plus but not required. You should have:
- Experience working in social justice movements.
- Undergraduate degree or commensurate experience.
- Excellent, strong, persuasive writing skills.
- Strong relationship-building skills.
- Familiarity with CRM systems and donor information management best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to engage in strategic analytical thinking and planning.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work gracefully under pressure.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team on multiple projects and across several time zones.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research and effectively communicate findings.
- Ability to work within social media and basic web platforms.
- Impeccable judgment and discretion in dealing with sensitive information.
- At least 2 years project management experience.
- Excellent computer skills with expertise in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- A willingness to learn new skills, systems, and frameworks and to innovate concepts and systems.
- Willingness to travel 8-12 times/year for meetings, conferences, etc.
Compensation/Benefits: Annual salary range is $60,000 – $70,000. This is a full-time, exempt position. Very generous benefits include fully paid for employee and family health, dental, vision, and matching 401K plan. Three weeks of vacation upon hire and a generous holiday schedule including the last week of December, as well as a flexible work schedule.
To Apply: Please email a resume, three professional references, two writing samples, and a cover letter that includes your salary expectations and describes why you feel you are a strong candidate for this position to: firstname.lastname@example.org by March 30, 2018. No phone calls, please. Due to the high volume of applications, only those selected for further discussion will be contacted.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Groundswell Fund is a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and that enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of races, ethnicities, national origins, ages, sexual orientations, gender identities, beliefs, religions, faiths and ideologies, cultures, socio-economic backgrounds and levels of physical ability.