Coastal Education Coordinator
- Position Type
- Full Time
One Hundred Miles is dedicated to preserving and enhancing Georgia’s 100-mile coast. We are an advocacy organization, building public support for this mission through collaboration, celebration, and education.
One Hundred Miles is seeking a Coastal Education Coordinator that will be responsible for assisting in the development and delivery of high-quality education initiatives that increase Georgians’ knowledge of and engagement in coastal conservation. The Coordinator manages a wide variety of environmental education (EE) programs across the coast, increases One Hundred Miles (OHM)’s presence at community outreach events, assists with communications, and oversees a robust volunteer program. The position is expected to be a visible and outward-facing member of the community, leading engaging programs and educating learners of all ages.
Responsibilities may vary depending on the candidate, but major projects will include:
Education and Community Outreach
- Work throughout Georgia’s coastal communities to educate residents, business leaders, visitors, students, and elected officials about the importance of Georgia’s coastal resources
- Represent OHM at regular community outreach events (i.e., Earth Day Festivals, CoastFest, etc.); use innovative education techniques and hands-on tools to engage and educate a broad range of audiences about OHM and coastal Georgia issues
- Assist with developing, promoting, and leading monthly Naturalist 101, Nature and the Arts, and Junior Naturalist programs
- Develop and lead other environmental education and outreach programs
- Coordinate community outreach initiatives such as Spartini Cocktails for the Coast and Holiday Market
- Maintain metrics measuring the organization’s educational reach; conduct regular program evaluations
- Other duties as assigned by the VP of Education & Communications
- Develop and maintain a wide range of volunteer opportunities within the organization, including outreach, education, events, administration/mailings, and advocacy
- Recruit and train volunteers in communities across coastal Georgia
- Work with student groups across the coast/state to develop and implement a new Youth Conservation Corps and student advocate program
- Plan an annual volunteer appreciation event and other recognitions throughout the year
- Assist with education communications (i.e., monthly digital newsletters) and social media posts
- Assist with website updates and other digital communications as assigned
- Work with VP of Education & Communications to create informative fact sheets and educational collateral about OHM’s programs and coastal Georgia issues
- Create press releases and work with the media to promote assigned programs
- Compile news clippings for OHM media coverage in print and digital form
Required Skills and Qualifications
We are looking for a talented and driven individual to accelerate our efforts, and the successful candidate must have:
- At least 3-5 years of formal or nonformal environmental education experience
- Knowledge of current techniques and best practices in the field of environmental education and community outreach
- Proven experience developing, promoting, and teaching interactive programs for a variety of ages and backgrounds
- Comfortable working as part of an advocacy organization
- Excellent writing and communications skills, including the ability to translate concepts into relatable, easy-to-understand ideas
- Understanding of best practices in social media
- Knowledge of coastal ecosystems and environmental conservation issues; knowledge and experience in coastal Georgia a plus
- Familiarity with WordPress, MailChimp, and other digital platforms a plus
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of a team
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to juggle multiple high-priority projects and meet deadlines
- Sense of humor, flexibility, positivity, and passion for Georgia’s coast
This position is located in Brunswick, GA, and will require the employee to travel to deliver programs in Savannah, across Georgia, and to other parts of the state as needed. We offer a competitive salary based on experience and a comprehensive benefits package.
Interested candidates should email a resume, three professional references, and cover letter describing your specific qualifications and interest in the position to email@example.com.
Submissions without a cover letter will not be considered. No telephone inquiries. Applicants who best match the position needs will be contacted. One Hundred Miles is an equal opportunity employer.