Statewide Advocacy Coordinator
- Position Type
- Full Time
Statewide Advocacy Coordinator
Classification: Full Time, Exempt
The Statewide Advocacy Coordinator will lead the development and implementation of our strategy to engage Essie members as leaders in the movement to end mass incarceration’s harm to women. The Statewide Advocacy Coordinator will work alongside our growing membership base in California to develop a membership structure that facilitates member leadership. The Statewide Advocacy Coordinator also design and implement up to 3 local and statewide campaigns in 2018, including Essie’s ongoing efforts to end the use of money bail in California and beyond. The successful candidate will enter into a highly collaborative, team-driven work environment and will work closely with the Manager of Advocacy and Programs to build the political power of women with incarcerated loved ones across California.
- 3+ years relevant professional experience.
- Experience with grassroots community organizing and supporting the leadership of people directly impacted by the social problem you are working to address.
- Experience creating and implementing new campaigns and programs.
- Experience with recruitment and retention of community leaders.
- Demonstrated success and comfort facilitating community meetings and group discussions.
- Enthusiasm and expertise for political education and building collective community consciousness.
- Enthusiasm for developing and maintaining 1 on 1 intentional relationships with community members working to achieve a common goal.
- Track record as a collaborative leader who excels in managing multiple projects.
- Experience managing relationships with multiple stakeholders including partners, community members, and policy influencers.
- Demonstrated skill in creative problem solving and embracing change.
- Spanish fluency ideal.
- A strong commitment to the mission, goals, and philosophy of Essie, and a demonstrated alignment with anti-mass incarceration, racial justice, and gender justice causes.
- Exceptionally hard worker. Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, focused, and small office environment where each staff person assumes multiple responsibilities while striving to achieve shared goals.
- Holds a deep level of consciousness about systems of oppression and approaches the work of political education with humility and openness.
- Creative strategist in touch with the political moment with the ability to consistently identify opportunities to amplify the impact of advocacy through campaigns, events, and partnerships.
- Impeccable ethics, highly developed decision-making skills and unfailingly trustworthy.
- Anticipates needs and takes initiative to address them. Persists despite obstacles.
- Outcome-oriented, critical and creative thinker.
- Positive approach, can-do attitude, and a sense of humor.
- Enjoys an “all-in,” start-up, nontraditional work culture.
Essie values and specifically seeks applicants who are people with incarcerated loved ones; formerly incarcerated people; people of color; women; queers, trans, gender non-conforming and gender fluid people. If this is you, know that your contributions and leadership are especially valuable at Essie.
Essie Justice Group provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Essie complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
This position is based in Oakland or Los Angeles, California. This is not a remote position. Please address a thoughtful cover letter to the “Essie Hiring Committee” and submit along with a resume with “Statewide Advocacy Coordinator – Your Name” in the subject line to email@example.com.