Director of Development
- Experience Level
Job Title: Director of Development
Date Approved: March 2018
Category: Full Time
Weekly Hours: 37.50
PURPOSE: To foster a culture of philanthropy within the organization. Administer and coordinate all development and communication efforts. Plan, implement, and set priorities for the organization’s development and communication efforts, with Chief Executive Officer and appropriate volunteers/consultants. Provide supervision, management, and training to staff and key volunteers. Plan, coordinate and implement strategies to develop donors and volunteers. Execute effective communications plan. Recommend departmental and organizational policies and procedures. Participate in related community activities and promote the organization’s mission and programs throughout the community. Maintain accountability and compliance standards for donors, funding sources, and communications. As a member of the executive leadership team, this position helps set the direction and ensures the health of the organization.
- Designs, implements and manages all fundraising activities including annual giving, endowment and capital campaigns, planned giving, special projects, special events, and other community related activities.
- Keep informed of developments in philanthropy and inform key staff and volunteers on current trends, issues, problems, and activities.
- Develops and manages all strategies and activities for donor cultivation, solicitation, and recognition.
- Implement donor communication and fundraising initiatives to positively influence individual giving renewal rate, upgrades, average gift size, and frequency of gifts.
- Create innovative corporate sponsorship packages and solicit corporate gifts with Atlanta-based companies including corporate event and program sponsorships, named spaces, cause-related marketing partnerships, annual giving, employee giving, advertising and in-kind contributions.
- Manage Marketing and Communication team to expand and maximize digital, social media and website reach, direct mail, SEO and donor revenue potential.
- Provide management and guidance to the team responsible for donor operations including acknowledgement process, technology decisions and ensuring best practices are implemented and upheld.
- Provide high-level leadership on all special events; ensure excellent execution of details, achievement of fundraising goals and positive donor, sponsor and participant experiences.
- Perform basic donor research and manage prospect process within the team.
- Manage department staff, volunteers and committees.
- Develops a balanced funding mix of contributors tailored to meet the needs of the organization, which will enable it to attract, retain, and motivate donors and fundraising volunteers.
- Maintains contact with and develops grant proposals for foundations and corporations.
- Ensures the donor database is maintained, all donations are tracked, and all donations are recognized.
- Provides staff leadership and support to the Fundraising Committee and other committees and task forces as necessary.
- Provides fundraising development and training for the Board of Directors.
- Provides staff leadership and support for all special events.
- Coordinates all communications efforts, including website, newsletters, and annual reports.
- Provides support and supervision to the organization’s volunteer services, including management, recruitment, and recognition of volunteers.
- Provides supervision, training, and ongoing coaching to department staff.
- Assists with hiring, monitoring, and evaluating department staff in accordance with agency procedures and time frames.
- Writes and manages all corporate, civic, and foundation grants.
- Assists in developing and implementing agency goals, policies, and procedures.
- Ensures fair and consistent treatment of agency employees and clients.
- Ensures management decisions are implemented and completed in a timely manner.
- Meets regularly with Leadership Team and CEO.
- Participates in related community activities and promotes the organization’s mission and programs throughout the community.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
minimum job specifications:
- College degree in related field.
- Minimum of two years of management experience.
- Minimum of four years of experience in the non-profit sector.
- Excellent writing skills and experience in writing foundation grants.
- Excellent organizational and supervisory skills.
- Knowledge of business and non-profit community.
- Excellent oral communication skills/ability to make oral presentations.
- Ability to manage a variety of tasks in a fast paced environment.
- Must possess an understanding of donor operations, including acknowledgement best practices, donor segmentation and communications.
- Must possess strong analytic skills with ability to think strategically.
- Self-reliant, highly motivated, and positive “can-do” attitude.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Raiser’s Edge, and ability to learn new software as needed.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
General office environment, but must have ability to travel around the Metro Atlanta area to attend meetings and promote the organization.
Internal: Two-way communication with CEO to suggest and to implement directions, instructions, and information to facilitate job responsibilities, and with Board Members, Consultants, Volunteers, and Committee Members to facilitate development strategies.
External: Effectively interacts with donors, community leaders, and Board Members to achieve increased public understanding and support of organization and its mission.