- Experience Level
AMERICAN COLLEGE OF RHEUMATOLOGY POSITION DESCRIPTION
TITLE: Editorial Coordinator, Arthritis & Rheumatology journal
POSITION #: 51
DATE: March 1, 2018
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Managing Editor, Arthritis & Rheumatology
POSITION SUMMARY DESCRIPTION:
The Editorial Coordinator is responsible for formatting, doing preliminary editing, and tracking the status of manuscripts and proofs for Arthritis & Rheumatology; putting manuscripts together into monthly issues when ready; answering questions and handling requests regarding journal-related matters; researching and writing reports on journal-related matters; and performing administrative/clerical functions related to the operation of the journal.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Receive and track progress of all manuscripts accepted for publication in Arthritis & Rheumatology (~500 per year for 12 monthly issues)
- Record manuscripts accepted by physician Editor-in-Chief; download manuscript files using a custom online manuscript submission system and enter them into the ACR network; format to meet compositor specifications
- Do preliminary editing on manuscripts, including copyediting title pages and reference lists, checking chronology of reference citations, and formatting certain elements of the manuscripts according to journal style
- Compile a list of articles ready for each issue, for the journal’s Editor-in-Chief; organize each issue according to line-up established by Editor-in-Chief; inform publisher and compositor of the line-up for each issue
- Review galley proofs for general appearance and check specific sections for accuracy and adherence to style; record page count; record receipt of author and proofreader corrections; follow up on missing corrections
- Use, and assist others with accessing and using, the publisher’s web sites for Arthritis & Rheumatology and Arthritis Care & Research
- Work closely with journal personnel at outside locations (Editor-in-Chief office, compositor office, publisher office)
- Correspond with authors (including a significant number of international authors) as needed; handle author inquiries regarding manuscript status, proofs, personal copies of issues containing their articles, etc.
- Handle general journal-related phone and e-mail requests, e.g., for copies of articles, citations of articles, and information about advertising, permissions, and reprints
- Prepare PowerPoint presentations and other materials for Journal Publications Committee and ACR Board of Directors meetings
- Perform other writing assignments, e.g., updates of journal-related activities for Board reports or ACR newspaper; ACR Announcements; biography of incoming ACR President
- Assist Managing Editor with follow-up regarding journal-related matters, e.g., researching other journals’ policies and procedures on a particular matter
- Organize logistics for Journal Publications Committee meetings, e.g., arrangements with hotel, use of Survey Monkey to ascertain committee members’ travel plans, etc.
- Perform other administrative/clerical functions for department and Managing Editor
- Serve as one of several ACR staff who relieve the receptionist during lunch and breaks, according to an established schedule
- Perform any above duties for Arthritis Care & Research in addition to Arthritis & Rheumatology, if needed and if time permits
- Other duties as Managing Editor, Arthritis & Rheumatology or Executive Vice President may assign
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in related field
- High level of proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Strong writing, spelling, and grammar skills
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Experience with publishing, journalism, and/or scientific/medical terminology is desirable
The ACR provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. The ACR complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities or conducts business.
This is not a contract. The description and duties as they relate to this position are subject to change as reasonable business necessity dictates. In the event of such changes, a new job description may be created.