Culture Strategy Director
- Experience Level
Reports to: Deputy Director
Location: Oakland, California; this job may be worked from a remote location
Forward Together is seeking a passionate and visionary culture change strategist to lead us in to a future where women of color, non-binary people and Indigenous people are using art, media and storytelling to advance strategic campaigns.
The Culture Strategy Director will lead our Echoing Ida Program, which amplifies the voices of Black women and non-binary writers following the truth-telling legacy of Ida. B Wells. The Director works with a staff team and editorial consultants to deliver a premiere thought leadership development fellowship for Black women and non-binary people.
The Culture Strategy Director will also lead our growing Art as Power program which is building a network of artists and organizers reimagining the world through collaborative strategy and action. By creating synergy across culture shift, power building and movement building strategies, the Director will create opportunities to demonstrate the impact of bridging imagination and strategic organizing. The Director will supervise the Artist in Residence.
Who We Are
Forward Together transforms culture and policy to work for all of us nationwide. Since our founding in 1989, we have continually fought to dismantle the ways our society marginalizes us based on race, sexuality, and gender. Today, we build courage and foster connection among our multi-racial community of changemakers to secure the rights, recognition and resources all families need to thrive.
Across our country and in our organization, we envision communities where we are all at home, where we take care of and respect each other, and where everyone is better off. We value the shared leadership of people of color, women, immigrants, LGBTQ+ and Indigenous people in building this future. Find out more about us at forwardtogether.org.
The Culture Strategy Director will coordinate our strategic direction, identify and lead opportunities for expansion, and oversee and evaluate the Echoing Ida and Art as Power programs.
You are perfect for this position if…
- You prioritize Black non-binary and women’s lives – and have actively lifted up and centered these voices in your professional work.
- Storytelling is your middle name –You love flipping narratives about marginalized communities through words and art as a path to social justice.
- You rock intersectionality – Advocacy and organizing at the intersection of race, gender and sexuality is your home.
- You excel at building programs. You've participated in developing programs or campaigns from the ground up.
- You like to laugh. Change work can be hard. You can laugh at yourself and with others in difficult times.
- Leads and implements strategic culture shift projects and campaigns in alignment with Forward Together’s priority issue areas: healthcare and abortion access; family recognition and safer communities.
- Leads Echoing Ida program including direction-setting, leadership development strategies, evaluation, and coordinating staff-editor team.
- Leads Art as Power program including direction-setting, networking with culture shift practitioners, and building a community of culture shift practice within Forward Together’s networks.
- Supervises the Artist in Residence.
- Identifies and implements documentation and evaluation systems that demonstrate the impact of culture shift strategies.
- Develops and manages Echoing Ida and Art as Power program budgets.
- Participates in the Forward Together Directors Team, co-ensuring the continued growth, sustainability and impact of the organization.
- Experience working in partnership with, by and for communities of color. Commitment to Forward Together’s mission and social justice. Experience working with nonprofit preferred.
- At least 8 years’ experience with leadership development, communications, and culture shift strategies. Experience in Black women’s or non-binary movements strongly preferred.
- Excellent relationship building skills, including the ability to effectively communicate with people at all levels and from various backgrounds and an infectious, positive attitude.
- Management-level experience, including program development, budget management, and employee supervision.
- Demonstrated track record in program development, implementation and evaluation.
- Ability to manage priorities and workflow in a fast-paced environment
- Committed to social and reproductive justice and Forward Together’s mission.
- Excellent written and verbal skills in English.
- Superb facilitation and presentation skills.
- Ability to travel across the United States for trips of up to 4 days up to 8 times per year.
- Ability to drive; valid driver’s license and, if driving own car, proof of insurance coverage.
People of color, queer, transgender, gender nonconforming people and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. EOE.
Please send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com with the Subject line: Culture Strategy Director Search.
No phone calls, please. Due to the high volume of applications, only those selected for further discussion will be contacted.