CalFresh Specialist (Bi-Lingual Cantonese)
- Degree Level
The Food Bank’s mission is to end hunger in San Francisco and Marin. Last year, we distributed approximately 48 million pounds of food – enough for more than 110,000 meals each day. We partner with more than 450 organizations – including 264 neighborhood pantries – to distribute food to low-income residents of San Francisco and Marin counties.
This is a mission-oriented, challenging and friendly place to work. Our success relies on the people who work for our organization. If you would like to be a part of building a community where no one suffers from hunger, please consider joining our team of talented and dedicated individuals. For more information about our organization, please visit www.sfmfoodbank.org.
PURPOSE OF POSITION: Join a collaborative team of motivated individuals designing, supporting and expanding food programs throughout San Francisco and Marin counties. This position will work as part of the Food Bank’s CalFresh Outreach Team to increase participation in San Francisco’s CalFresh Program through community outreach and education, client direct services, advocacy, and collaboration with new and existing partners. This position requires the ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule, including occasional evening and weekend hours as needed. This position is full time non-exempt and reports to a Program Manager. Fluency in Cantonese is required. Experience with CalFresh (food stamps) or other public benefits is a plus.
You might be a perfect fit if you:
- Have one or more years of experience in non-profit or social services sector working directly with clients and/or engaging the community.
- Have sensitivity to the needs of economically disadvantaged individuals.
- Are dependable in maintaining a flexible schedule and communicating changes when needed.
- Have the ability to work and interact with individuals (staff, volunteers and clients) from a variety of socioeconomic backgrounds in a culturally diverse work environment.
- Have experience working with clients facing multiple barriers to receiving services.
- Are passionate about ending hunger and are interested in food issues, social justice, and community advocacy.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- CalFresh Outreach, Screening and Application Assistance
- Develop an understanding of CalFresh program application and enrollment procedures (extensive training will be provided).
- Educate clients on eligibility for the CalFresh program and provide pre-screening and application assistance.
- Strengthen existing and establish new outreach connections at community-based sites utilizing innovative methods for identifying and reaching non-participating populations.
- Adapt existing educational and marketing materials (from public and private sources) for use within pantry network.
- Provide non-eligible participants with referrals to accessing free food distribution programs and other resources.
- 2. Client Data Management and Tracking
- Track outreach activities, pre-screens, applications submitted, outcomes, and other data.
- Maintain accurate database of client information.
- Maintain client confidentiality.
- Assist in identifying clients who could be helpful in media related events.
- Maintain accurate files and contribute to preparation of monthly reports.
- 3. Other Responsibilities and Expectations
- Assume responsibility for understanding and learning about CalFresh and other public benefits as well as their impact on clients’ lives to more effectively assist clients through the application process. Trainings will be provided.
- Availability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Fluency in spoken Cantonese required, fluency in Mandarin strongly desired.
- Ability to read and write modern standard Chinese
- College graduate or equivalency preferred
- Ability to maintain client confidentiality; ability to manage challenging clients and situations.
- Proven record of accuracy in completing, tracking, and reviewing data.
- Demonstrated ability to follow established procedures and organize, plan and carry out activities to meet specific timelines.
- Valid driver’s license (access to vehicle strongly preferred but not required)
- Physical Demands: Ability to stand and talk to people waiting for food distributions outdoors; comfort in a variety of settings and physical arrangements. Ability to carry up to 20 pounds of materials.
SALARY: Competitive pay based on qualifications and experience
BENEFITS: We provide excellent medical, dental, generous 403B retirement plan, FSA, life insurance, competitive salary, vacation, sick and holiday leave, career development, celebrations and activities.
ABOUT US: We’re a team of more than 140 dedicated, inspired people working together to end hunger in San Francisco and Marin. We’re serious about the mission, and also committed to building a terrific place to work. We thrive in an environment that fosters collaboration, leadership, excellence, accountability and respect. If you would like to be a part of building a community where nutritious food is available to all, please consider joining us.
TO APPLY: Please send cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Use “CalFresh Specialist- Cantonese, your name” in the subject line.
The SF-Marin Food Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of Color, LGBTQI, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
We will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of arrest and conviction records.
More searches like this
- Administrative / Clerical Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $40,000 - $49,999 Full Time jobs in San Francisco
- Direct Service / Social Service Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $40,000 - $49,999 Full Time jobs in San Francisco
- Social Work / Counseling Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $40,000 - $49,999 Full Time jobs in San Francisco