Finance Assistant I
- Experience Level
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups and supporters to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Miami, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
The Finance Assistant I will perform accounts payable, payroll responsibilities and other duties as assigned during the department’s transition to the new accounting software system.
Accounts Payable (65%):
- Code, review & enter payables into accounting system.
- Add new vendors for organization and maintain vendor files.
- Print, sort and ensure proper signatures on checks for mailing.
- Respond to accounts payable inquiries.
- Train staff on expense policy, process and procedures.
Payroll Assistance (30%):
- Process and distribute payroll for headquarters and regional offices.
- Track employee time and attendance entry, follows up with employees and supervisors to ensure that entry is completed and approved on time.
- Download monthly payroll data into accounting system.
- Works with payroll service to resolve timekeeping, payment coding, and multistate payroll tax issues.
- Review and enter all organization-wide employee expense reports that are paid through payroll.
Assist Finance Department (5%):
- Assist with preparation of budget and other reporting.
- Help set up meetings, distribute agendas and other administrative tasks for the Finance Department.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business preferred.
- Ability to effectively communicate and positively interact with people both internal and external to the organization.
- Experienced computer user, including proficiency with enterprise accounting software, Excel and Word.
- Able to work and think independently.
- Ability to keep confidential information.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Good communication skills.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume online via the Jobvite system. Incomplete applications without cover letters will not be considered.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.