Associate Legislative Counsel
6 days left
- Experience Level
Earthjustice is the nation’s premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring talented and dedicated attorneys who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with nine offices across the U.S.
This position assists in the development and implementation of legislative and administrative strategies on environmental issue priorities for Earthjustice on issues in our Healthy Communities program area (e.g. Toxics, Pesticides, Clean Air, Clean Water), as assigned by the Legislative Director of the Healthy Communities program.
Lobbying Duties (60%)
- Assists in development and implementation of legislative and administrative strategies relating to assigned issues.
- Directly lobby Congress and the Administration.
- Tracks legislation and policy initiatives relating to assigned issues.
- Develops lobby and education materials, including but not limited to fact sheets, letters and action alerts.
- Works with the Communications Department on occasional outreach to the media and the creation of blogs and op-eds on assigned issues.
- Perform policy, legislative and legal analysis.
- Educate the Administration and Congress on key legal challenges and rulings.
Coalition and Partnerships (20%)
- Represent Earthjustice in coalitions and with allies on assigned issues.
- Support members of PAL in community partnership objectives.
- Coordinate briefings, seminars, and informational sessions with partners.
Internal Coordination/Administration (20%)
- Represents PAL on Earthjustice practice groups related to assigned issues.
- Liaison with relevant litigators working on assigned issues.
- Manage projects and other efforts performed on assigned issues by Assistants and interns.
- Assist other PAL lobbyists when needed.
- JD degree and 1 year of experience in the legislative process and/or public interest work or advocacy.
- Commitment to serving the public interest, and passion for Earthjustice's mission. Direct lobbying experience is a plus.
- Previous experience with social, economic or environmental justice communities and/or organizations is a plus.
- Conversational or fluent in Spanish is a plus.
- Basic understanding of the legislative process.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, projects and deadlines.
- Excellent writing and oral communications skills.
- Proven ability to work independently.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Using the Jobvite application tool, please submit:
- One- or two-page cover letter that addresses at least the following subjects: (1) why you are drawn to Earthjustice’s mission and whether there are particular legal, environmental, or justice issues that inspire you; and (2) aspects of your background that demonstrate competence to work with diverse clients and colleagues.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
More searches like this
- Administrative / Clerical Philanthropy / Social Responsibility Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Advocacy / Lobbying Philanthropy / Social Responsibility Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Legal Philanthropy / Social Responsibility Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Public Policy / Administration Philanthropy / Social Responsibility Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.