PASSIONATE ABOUT GROWING FOOD? INTERESTED IN SPIRITUAL DEVELOPMENT IN COMMUNITY?
- Experience Level
ARE YOU A GARDENER/FARMER? OR DO YOU WANT TO BE? YOUR CHANCE TO HONE YOUR SKILLS AND CONTRIBUTE TO A BUDDHIST COMMUNITY.
Maintain and develop 2 acres of mixed vegetable production The goal is to sustainably provide all the vegetables for our community of 40 people throughout the year.
About Odiyan Retreat Center: Founded in 1975 by Venerable Tarthang Tulku Rinpoche, Odiyan is a Tibetan Buddhist center located on a 1000-acre spiritual and ecological preserve in rural Northern California. Perched on a ridge overlooking rolling hills and the Pacific Ocean, Odiyan is modeled after Tibet's first Buddhist center—a three-dimensional Mandala.
We grow all the major vegetables on rotation throughout the year and maintain a substantial winter garden. In addition, we grow many unusual foods, ornamental, pollinator, and medicinal annuals and perennials.
This is an opportunity to hone and develop your gardening skills while contributing to the welfare of an important spiritual center, among a group of people dedicating their lives to work for the benefit of all humanity.
Couples are welcome. We cannot accept children or pets.
- Minimum age of 25 years old.
- Minimum commitment of 6 months with a preference for those able to stay the whole season (9 months).
- Some background in vegetable gardening or a sincere interest.
- Physical strength and stamina for the manual labor of garden work.
- Free home-cooked vegetarian meals and beverages.
- Free housing in a large room with balcony.
- Free WI-FI and domestic phone calls.
- A living allowance of $100 after the first month, $150 after 6 months.
- Access to a healthy setting of nature, trails, swimming, wide-open spaces, sacred beauty, fresh air, clean water, and nutritious food.
- Free Classes on Development of Mind & Spirit: Tibetan yoga, Skillful Means, Buddhist study and more.
You do not need to be Buddhist or have a religious affiliation to volunteer at Odiyan. An interest in Buddhism is a plus but not a requirement.
You do need to be eager for a wholesome lifestyle of self-sufficiency, meaningful work, inner development, and taking responsibility.
More searches like this
- Animal Care Religion / Faith-based Volunteer jobs in Cazadero
- Conservation Religion / Faith-based Volunteer jobs in Cazadero
- Facilities / Equipment Religion / Faith-based Volunteer jobs in Cazadero
- Food Service Religion / Faith-based Volunteer jobs in Cazadero
- Housing / Construction Religion / Faith-based Volunteer jobs in Cazadero