Vice President of Finance and Operations
- Position Type
- Full Time
About Charter Impact Fund (CIF)
Charter Impact Fund (CIF) is a new nonprofit social impact fund that’s on a nationwide mission to help high-performing charter schools spend more of their funding on students and less on the costs of borrowing money for their buildings. We offer school leaders simple and much-needed access to low-cost, long-term loans, combined with support from an expert team that has walked in their shoes.
With significant long-term funding and an innovative strategy, CIF is about giving more of America’s students access to the outstanding education they deserve. We partner with the charter schools making the biggest difference for kids, providing them with funding and assistance to make an even bigger difference.
If you’re looking to have community-level impact on a national scale, apply to join our team.
As a founding member of a growing social impact organization, the Vice-President will be responsible for the oversight of the organization’s finance, accounting, compliance, reporting, and the human resource functions. S/he will be responsible for enhancing and developing CIF’s financial and operational systems to address current and future needs of the organization, monitoring business plan results, and assuring financial and reporting compliance to public, philanthropic and private partners. Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer, the Vice President will ultimately supervise a growing staff and work closely with members of the investment team including the Vice President of Credit and Lending.
Who You Are
Innovative Financial Leader. With more than 15+ years as an executive leading high performing, financial and operational teams, either in the non-profit, schools, or business fields, you are an innovator, analytical thinker and strategic thought partner with a proven track record of success. You have demonstrated success in managing the oversight of the long-term budgetary and cost management planning cycles of a growing organization. You have skillfully guided innovative operating financial strategies and operational functions to include financial reporting, putting into place prudent fiscal controls, and cash management.
Risk Management Strategist. As a seasoned proactive decision maker who understands bank operations, you can assess risk efficiently and develop strategies to support the organization’s lending and credit activities and mitigate related risks. With the Chief Credit Officer (Credit) and the Investment Principal (Lending), you will create and maintain dashboard metrics to communicate financial, loan capital, and loan portfolio status and production. As the team lead, you have experience managing the treasury function including planning and operations, financial risk management, corporate governance, and stakeholder relations. You have ample experience around non-profit accounting, fund accounting, and/or hedge accounting. You are able to balance the big picture with the critical administrative responsibilities required to ensure that organization meet all statutory requirements.
Systems Developer & Operator. Having worked at start-up organizations or supported growing organizations, you understand what any organization needs to thrive and evolve. This experience allows you to understand how all of the pieces of the organization fit together and which systems will support the ongoing operations of the team. As a data consumer, you have developed, implemented and tested success metrics for financially focused organizations and understand how to facilitate cross functional communication to eliminate the “silo-effect”. You have time-tested strategies in your toolkit to support effective decision making processes and have developed proven internal management systems the drive consistent results.
Developer of People. With experience building strong organizations and teams, you have developed organizational effectiveness through talent management and development, change management, performance management and succession planning. You understand how to identify great talent, whether that be consultants or full-time staff, and how to create developmental opportunities that allow for the identification of career pathways, reducing organizational churn.
Cultural Ambassador & Facilitator. You understand how to develop a strong company culture through great leadership and have experience in developing and collaborating with team members across the organization to do the same. You demonstrate this belief in the ways you interact with staff and stakeholders, harness and focus team energy, and in how you communicate with integrity in your day-to-day work. Your passion and personal commitment to providing students’ education equity through innovative school financing is contagious and drives company culture.
Effective Communicator. As a seasoned spokesperson, you are able to articulate the organizational and financial benefits, success and impact to the larger education and financial community, as well as charter school boards, potential funders and CIF board members.
Mission Focused & Driven. Experienced in leading relevant functions in organizations that look to innovate around some of society's greatest needs, you have a passion for making things better for the next generation and work tirelessly to ensure progress is made each day toward achieving that goal. Your enthusiasm is relentless and helps sustain and drive others in the organization. Your laser-light focus on our mission and impact helps to transform and grow how we do our work.
Organizational Impact & Outcomes for Success
As an emerging entity designed for significant social impact and scale, CIF seeks a VP that has the experience and ability to build the financial and operational foundation necessary to support a rapidly growing organization.
The VP will do this by:
- Providing the management and supervision necessary to build an effective internal team with strong organizational alignment and mission focus;
- Crafting ambitious organizational goals including, communications strategy, financial planning and budgeting, recurring operational processes and organizational efficiency, and assessing and ensuring successful attainment of those goals;
- Developing efficient and effective systems to ensure a successful startup that leads to long-term organizational and financial viability for the organization. Key responsibilities include detailed budgeting, planning and cash forecasting activities, production of timely and accurate monthly financial statements, and effective administration of benefits and payroll;
- Strategically managing the finances of a company with increasingly complex capital resources, including analyzing and planning for risks presented by increased lending and borrowing activity and any related regulatory compliance;
- Ensuring key relationships and effective services from insurance providers, audit, tax, and accounting firms, legal advisors and bankers, etc.
- Serving as a key advisor to the CEO and supporting the implementation of a strategic plan for raising capital and managing a successful reporting function that complies with all funder, investor, and state and federal requirements;
- Developing internal management systems, data infrastructures, and performance monitoring processes to related to internal operations as well as lending and compliance reporting. This includes managing the data, tools, and calculations that feed the Fund’s investor statements, capital account statements as well as the associated compliance with third-party standards for investor performance reporting.
- Providing leadership, guidance, and support to direct reports, team members, and others that drives success and reinforces our core values.
Compensation and benefits
Compensation is competitive, commensurate with experience. We are proud to offer extraordinary benefits, including unlimited PTO, as well as medical coverage and a 401(k) match.
This role will be based in New York City.
How to Learn More
This targeted search is being led by the executive search team at Advance Talent Solutions (ATS). Interested parties should share a copy of their latest resume using the online application link here: https://boards.greenhouse.io/charterimpactfund/jobs/4013478002#.WpCqdRPwbVp