Project Manager/Events Specialist
- Position Type
- Part Time
Position Purpose: As Project Manager/Events Specialist, you will act as an event coordinator/volunteer manager for our corporate volunteer projects. You will plan and develop volunteer projects with the help of the Program team, coordinate the logistics surrounding the event, and manage and lead the volunteers on the day of the event.
This is not your typical part-time job. You will be working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment with a team comprised of hard-working, fun, and creative individuals who have various experience levels. You will gain experience in project development, volunteer management, event management, and logistics coordination all of which are applicable to both the nonprofit and corporate sectors.
Hours and Availability:
This is a part-time, on-call position. Corporate volunteer projects occur mostly during weekdays (M-F) and occasional weekends. Ideally, you have a flexible schedule and are open to a varied work schedule--some work weeks could offer up to 30 working hours, while others may only require as few as 4 hours. We are flexible and will work with your schedule; many of our employees in this position are students or have other job commitments.
The start date for this position is on March 20th. We are asking that you commit to the position through at least September 2018, and can extend beyond that time.
Volunteer Event Development
- Research and develop creative new projects that meet needs of the community.
- Coordinate and/or conduct site visits with nonprofit agencies to scope out activities the volunteers will complete (i.e. painting, gardening, cleaning, etc).
- Research, organize, and prepare plans to make each volunteer project a success.
- Communicate professionally with corporate clients about the details of the projects.
Day-of Volunteer Event Management
- Ensure that project experiences are safe, productive, and fun for the volunteers.
- Welcome, direct, and instruct/manage large groups of volunteers.
- Communicate clearly with volunteers to articulate goals of the project.
- Troubleshoot any problems that might arise.
- Coordinate project clean-up as the project is ending.
- Ensure that project goals are met.
Logistics (as needed)
- Organize and package tools/supplies from our tool warehouse for use at volunteer projects (i.e. garden tools, painting supplies, cleaning supplies).
- Deliver tools/supplies to project sites. Pick up tools/supplies after projects have completed.
- Assist in organizing, cleaning, and completing other warehouse tasks.
Responsibilities of all HandsOn Bay Area Staff:
- Embrace HandsOn Bay Area’s core values and mission.
- Be ambassadors for HandsOn Bay Area in the community.
- Support the fundraising efforts of the organization.
- Act as leaders on HandsOn Bay Area corporate service projects as necessary.
- A flexible schedule.
- Ability to organize and plan projects. Experience with large projects (100+ volunteers), a plus.
- Detail oriented. Able to multi-task with flexibility to succeed in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with gardening, painting, or construction, a plus (we can provide training in these areas).
- Valid driver’s license.
- Ability to drive vehicles like small U-hauls/large vans a plus. Experience driving medium-sized (10-14’) U-Hauls a big plus. Not to worry if you don’t have this experience though; we can train you.
- Able to lift up to 40 pounds.
Basic familiarity with Google applications (Gmail, Drive, Calendar).
- Strong customer service skills; good interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Able to provide positive supervision and mentoring for volunteers at a project site.
- Comfortable speaking in front of large groups of volunteers.
- Be a team player who can also work independently AND have fun!
- If you need immediate full-time work, this is not the position for you. You must to commit to staying in this position through at least September 2018 (it will save you and us a lot of time).
- Excellent time-management skills.
- Highly organized with great attention to detail.
- Professional demeanor in person, in email, and on the phone.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Self-starter. Able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability and flexibility to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Handy with basic project budgeting.
- Passion! Interest in nonprofit work and belief in the value of community service.
Important Dates & Information
- March 13th: Applicant submission deadline
- March 1st - 15th: In-person interviews
- Start date: Tuesday, March 20th
- HandsOn is contractually obligated to run background checks on our employees, and we strongly believe in protecting the vulnerable populations with which we work. Don't automatically exclude yourself from applying. We take a whole view of a person's past into consideration, because we know that you are a lot more than your permanent record.
$19/hour. The position has automatic salary increases for individuals who stay longer than 6 months. Other benefits include: paid sick and community service time, 401k plan, and great opportunity for growth and advancement (half of our current full-time staff started in this position).
How to Apply:
Email a cover letter (1 page or less) and resume to email@example.com by March 13th, 2018.
- Include the following email subject line: Project Manager/Events Specialist - [insert your last name here].
- Address the following in your cover letter: What makes a high-quality volunteer experience?
- Please attach the cover letter and resume to the email as PDF files.