Finance & Operations Manager
- Experience Level
Job Title: Finance & Operations Manager
About John Burton Advocates for Youth
John Burton Advocates for Youth (JBAY) is a statewide organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for California’s foster youth, homeless youth and former foster youth through better laws and stronger, local practices. It was founded in 2004 by California State Senator John Burton. For more information about our work visit www.jbaforyouth.org
Responsibilities of the Operations Manager
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Operation Manager’s primary responsibility is to ensure organizational effectiveness by providing leadership for the organization's financial functions. Specific responsibilities include:
- Manage day to day processing of accounts receivable and payable using QuickBooks.
- Ensure grants are spent in the time frame and for the purposes stated in the grant agreement.
- Work with contract accountant to close monthly books on a timely basis.
- Monitor monthly spending to ensure the organization is operating thing the board-approved budget.
- Serve as the primary liaison with the organization’s bank, ensuring that fees and service meet current needs.
- Assist Executive Director and Board in creating an annual budget.
- Ensure all operations are compliant with board-approved financial policies and procedures.
- Prepare annual audit and be a liaison with all outside vendor.
- Ensure all employees comply with board-approved personnel policies and procedures.
- Manage payroll process, including tabulation of accrued employee benefits.
- Maintain an accurate list of all grants and inform the appropriate personnel of reporting deadlines, to ensure timely submission.
- Maintain complete paper and electronic files for every grant that includes the grant agreement, narrative, and budget.
- Enter data into the fundraising database and ensure its accuracy.
- Generate thank you letters to donors.
- Supervise the Administrative Assistant.
- Maintain organized and accessible paper and electronic files.
- Ensure organization submits reports with the IRS and the California Secretary of state on a timely basis.
- Ensure organization’s insurance policies remain current and meet the needs of the organization, board and staff members.
- Manage and increase the effectiveness and efficiency of Support Services (HR, IT and Finance), through improvements to each function as well as coordination and communication between support and business functions.
- Schedule meetings of the Board of Directors, in consultation with the Executive Director and Board President.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3 years of previous, relevant experience in nonprofit administration
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills including proficiency at QuickBooks and Salesforce
- High level of attention to detail
- Flexible and organized, with excellent judgment to support cross-functional activities
- Very strong communication skills
- Strong writing skills
Salary and Benefits
- Salary commensurate with experience
- 100% employee health care coverage; 50% coverage of partner/spouse and dependents
- 15 days of paid vacation annually; 10 paid federal holidays
- Retirement program with employer match
Send resume and cover letter, with salary requirements, to email@example.com. Please put your name and OPERATIONS MANAGER in the subject line of the email. Please call 415 348-0011 with any questions.