Director of Development, Bay Area
- Position Type
- Full Time
Position: Director of Development, Bay Area
Reports to: Lia Izenberg, Executive Director - Bay Area
Start date: April 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA
Position Filled By: April 2018
Only 22% of students from low-income communities earn a college degree, compared to 67% of their peers from high income areas. At OneGoal, we believe that all students - not just those with the best grades or the most resources - have the ability and deserve the opportunity to earn a college degree. What’s more, we have developed a solution that works, and we believe this problem is solvable within our lifetime.
We are looking for individuals who will join OneGoal during this unique window in time:
- In just 10 years, OneGoal has grown from 32 students in one city to some 12,000 students in six regions.
- OneGoal’s teacher-led, in-school, three-year college access and success model is game-changing. While nationwide, only 22% of kids in low-income communities graduate from college, 82% of OneGoal Fellows (students) enroll in college and 78% are persisting or have graduated from college.
- Over the next five years we have set our sights on unprecedented goals: first to attain a 60% postsecondary graduation rate among Fellows; second, to grow to support more than 25,000 students directly; and third, to develop new delivery models to dramatically grow our reach.
- In the Bay Area, low-income communities of color are by and large not benefiting from the hub of corporate and technology growth in the region. According to data shared by the East Bay College Fund, 71% of students in Oakland are low income. Today, only 12% of OUSD seniors graduate from college within five years.
- Public school systems and CMOs in the region are working to change the narrative by creating ambitious expectations for postsecondary and career pathways for their graduates moving forward. The existence of initiatives such as The Oakland Promise, The Richmond Promise, and The Marin Promise demonstrates a coordinated commitment between educators, city governments, philanthropy and CBOs to improve postsecondary prospects and outcomes for low-income students.
- Having been invited to participate in the various Promise efforts, alongside a commitment to partnership with Oakland Unified School District, OneGoal has chosen to focus on the East and North Bays of the San Francisco Bay Area as the initial entry points into our sixth region.
You believe - and your work has demonstrated your belief - that all students can earn a college degree and the life that comes with it. As the Director of Development, your mission is to work with the Executive Director to ensure OneGoal-Bay Area creates, refines, and saturates the local community with a compelling vision for how OneGoal will work to close the college divide in our lifetime. You also will ensure OneGoal-Bay Area maintains its financial stability by working with the Executive Director to steward and grow a diversified and sustainable investor base that includes individual donor, foundation, corporate and public support.
You will do this by:
- Collaborating with the Executive Director to set and execute a multi-year vision for OneGoal-Bay Area, including overseeing delivery of multi-year goals, strategies, and campaigns across foundation, corporate, individual and public funding streams
- Supporting the Executive Director to influence and motivate new and existing external constituents to invest in our work - raise over $700K in FY18 and $1M in FY19.
- Effectively managing a portfolio of donors (individuals, corporations, foundations, and public sources) by reviewing and analyzing progress to goal and making strategic recommendations to inform actions and campaigns
- Writing letters of inquiry, grants, and other externally-facing marketing pieces that compel external audiences to invest in our work
- Planning and executing several small events, hosted by OneGoal-Bay Area board members and other champions in support of our fundraising goals
- Working alongside the Executive Director to recruit, manage and steward a highly-invested and highly–effective regional board
Though OneGoal-Bay Area’s Director of Development is likely to see himself/herself/themselves in the following examples, these are not requirements. These examples are designed to help you determine if this opportunity aligns with your own passion and purpose.
You are a strategist.
- You have an exceptional ability to take many inputs and define a clear, compelling path to success. As part of this process, you are able to take an inherited big-picture vision and break it apart to crystalize the critical steps necessary to actualize that vision (e.g. set benchmark goals and calendar key actions).
- You like to explore and build innovative approaches and have designed new ways of doing things. You make connections, determine fits, and build plans that are responsive to interlocking and evolving challenges and opportunities.
You are a proactive, strategic, and resourceful problem-solver.
- You excitedly identify and confront challenges and see them as opportunities to take your critical thinking skills and impact to the next level.
- You’ve demonstrated the ability to work diligently towards your goals and can comfortably pivot and try new strategies when challenges arise.
- You operate with a strong sense of personal responsibility when it comes to solving challenges, especially during a time of innovation and growth at OneGoal; however, you know when and how to engage other key stakeholders that have the insight and positional authority to help you and others overcome obstacles and seize opportunities in a timely way.
- You are not a blind executor of pre-existing practices; however, you thoughtfully evaluate the OneGoal methods of operating and ideate on ways to elevate our development strategies’ effectiveness.
You are an intuitive and savvy relationship-builder.
- You just get people. You have an insatiable appetite for uncovering and understanding the unique interest, motivations, and barriers that others possess. However, you don’t stop there; you leverage your understanding of those unique needs, interests, and differences to increase our fundraising efforts and effectively manage and engage our regional board.
- You build meaningful relationships that extend beyond the transactional by creating authentic connections and engagements that are mutually beneficial for OneGoal-Bay Area, OneGoal-National, and our supporters and champions, and the communities we serve.
- You are persistent and understand that building relationships among the donor community will take time. You will put in the work and strategize with team-members to build a large pipeline of potential donors and allies.
You are a natural storyteller.
- You understand the power of language and story-telling and have experience and skill drafting grants, letters of inquiry and other external marketing collateral that effectively and concisely tells a compelling story others are eager to invest in.
- You are attentive to the details for how to modify written and verbal stories and pitches to appeal to specific audiences.
You use qualitative and quantitative inputs to devise meaningful strategies.
- You regularly use data to analyze trends and synthesize the most impactful problem or opportunity.
- You create tailored plans to advance our progress toward goals with individual donors.
- You enjoy collaborative conversations about progress, processing next steps with ease.
You are a continuous learner.
- You are constantly learning, adapting and developing; you constantly create and seize opportunities to refine your knowledge, skills and mindsets in both your personal and professional life. When there is a setback you accept responsibility and accountability.
- You proactively seek feedback, practice active listening, act on feedback as necessary, all because you seek to be the best version of yourself for Fellows.
You are committed to diversity and inclusion.
- You seek to understand and celebrate the unique identities of the individuals with whom you interact; you advocate for and elevate the voices of marginalized people and communities especially those from which our Fellows come; you integrate your knowledge, skills and mindsets related to diversity and inclusion into every aspect of the work.
- You act on the belief that there are multiple perspectives on the world and understand that a person’s worldview reflects her/his/their own location in the social order relative to such factors as race/ ethnicity, class, and gender.
- You continuously build our understanding of privilege and oppression especially within the context of our country, education system, and college divide.
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- 3+ years in either: development, campaign management, partnership-development, marketing, communications, strategy or operations (Strongly Preferred)
- Understanding of the Bay area philanthropic landscape (Strongly Preferred)
- This position requires heavy travel across the region; access to a vehicle is necessary
Guided by a clear set of core values and beliefs, you will join an impressive group of more than 130 OneGoal staff across the country who believe in the untapped potential within students. The OneGoal team challenges themselves and others to regularly ask, “Is there a better way?”
The Tangible Good
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package* which includes medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, life insurance, retirement matching, paid parental leave, and more. We also offer a generous paid time off policy, including 20 paid vacation days, holidays and 6 sick days.
*OneGoal reserves the right to change benefits at anytime according to business need.
You believe in people and the promise of humanity and are committed to equity and inclusion
You believe in an inclusive and culturally competent society and the essence of our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe that in order to create the change we seek, each person we hire brings a remarkable and diverse set of experiences, skills and characteristics that individually and collectively, will contribute to the radical change needed to move us towards a more equitable and just nation.
Throw Your Hat in the Ring. Please review our website to learn more and complete an application.
OneGoal is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, sexual expression, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or parenthood.