Business and Operations Manager
- Experience Level
The full-time Business and Operations Manager provides oversight for the Palo Alto Art Center Foundation in administrative and financial operations, staff supervision, fundraising planning, grant and database management, and event management. The Business and Operations Manager holds a leadership position that reports to, and works collaboratively with, the Art Center Director, in addition to interfacing regularly with Art Center staff, and Foundation contractors, volunteers, and the Board of Trustees. This new position also provides an exciting opportunity for a proactive and self-starting professional to develop, maintain, and enhance systems and processes that help to increase the efficiency, success, and impact of the Palo Alto Art Center Foundation.
Organizational Development and Planning
- Work closely with the Art Center Director and Foundation staff (currently, Director of Major Gifts and Development Coordinator) to develop and implement an annual Work Plan for the Foundation that is aligned to its Strategic Framework.
- Track and report on Work Plan progress to key stakeholders.
- As part of the leadership staff for the Foundation, participate in Art Center program staff meetings, sharing key Foundation initiatives with Art Center staff.
- Develop and maintain policies and procedures for fiscal oversight, risk management, and contract and legal compliance.
- Develop and monitor the Foundation’s budget.
- Oversee Foundation accounting systems, generating reports as needed.
- Implement and maintain cash handling and credit card procedures.
- Maintain accurate financial records including current bank statements, account access.
- Accounts receivable, including the acceptance and processing of all gifts and in-kind donations.
- Accounts payable, including processing all vendor payments and printing checks and coordinating their distribution.
- Manage regular banking deposits.
- Work with contract accounting firm on the Foundation’s quarterly financial statements. Review for accuracy.
- Prepare expense reports and manage petty cash and reimbursements.
- Oversee insurance policies and renewals for the Foundation.
- Manage and maintain all Foundation filing systems—digital and paper.
- Provide editorial review support for Foundation communications.
- Oversee Foundation website, providing content updates though the content management system and design updates with the hosting company as needed.
Fundraising and Membership Planning:
- Provide project management support for Foundation fundraising campaigns.
- Help to build, then implement and maintain, a back-office environment that supports and reinforces the Art Center Foundation’s fundraising activities.
- In conjunction with Art Center Director and Director of Major Gifts, create fundraising appeal timelines that track deliverables and promote accountability with team members.
- Assist with generating mailing and email lists and coordinating with graphic designers and printers as needed.
- Assist with membership fulfillment and donor services as needed.
- Support the Art Center’s and Foundation’s goal to build a culture of philanthropy, engaging in fundraising activities as needed. Work to promote positive customer service environment for Art Center Foundation donors and volunteers.
- Oversee and maintain the Foundation database (Salesforce) using and developing reports as needed.
- Assist with ongoing database refinement, updates, and data updates, working with consultants as needed.
- Work in role as Salesforce super user and champion by ensuring that relevant and useful donor data is collected, recorded and analyzed on a regular basis in support of the foundation’s Work Plan.
- Work with Art Center Director to meet requirements for institutional support, including assisting in the tracking, development and successful submission of grant reporting documents.
- Provide event management support to Foundation staff, including developing event timelines and task lists and working to determine event ROI.
- Serve on annual planning committee for events such as The Great Glass Pumpkin Patch, assisting with event logistics.
Staff Management and Human Resources:
- Manage a part-time Development Coordinator.
- Maintain and ensure compliance with human resources policies and procedures (working in concert with contracted HR firm).
- Work with Foundation payroll vendor to ensure timely pay. Track and report payroll in accounting system.
- Oversee employee benefit program.
Skills and Abilities:
- An organized, systems-oriented professional with strong analytical abilities.
- Strong project management skills.
- Creative problem-solving and a can-do attitude, along with a successful ability to multitask.
- Ability to think strategically, but also work tactically—maintaining attention to detail while maintaining a “big picture” perspective.
- Demonstrated ability with databases, Salesforce preferred.
- Strong writing abilities and editing strength.
- A commitment to collaborative working processes and building and maintaining strong professional relationships with colleagues, volunteers, and donors.
- An interest in the arts and the role of arts organizations in supporting them.
- An interest in making a major impact at a small nonprofit organization, to build and maintain systems and processes that will have a profound impact on organizational success.
Knowledge and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree required. At least two years of experience in a business operations role for a nonprofit organization. Financial experience required. QuickBooks proficiency.
This position will involve working in a lively open workspace environment. The Art Center Foundation and Art Center operate as small organizations and staff maintain a positive, can-do attitude, and a willingness to step in and contribute where needed.
About the Palo Alto Art Center Foundation:
The Palo Alto Art Center Foundation expands the reach and impact of the Palo Alto Art Center through fundraising and advocacy. Foundation staff currently include a full-time Director of Major Gifts, a part-time Development Coordinator, a part-time Gallery Shop Manager (currently vacant), and a contract grantwriter. The Palo Alto Art Center Foundation was founded in 1973 and is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that provides financial support and advocacy to the Art Center through a public/private partnership. The Palo Alto Art Center Foundation offices are housed at the Palo Alto Art Center.
About the Palo Alto Art Center:
The Palo Alto Art Center is your place to discover art. See, make, and be inspired because everyone is an artist. Created by the community, for the community in 1971, the Palo Alto Art Center provides an accessible and welcoming place to engage with art. We serve approximately 130,000 people every year through a diverse range of programs. The Palo Alto Art Center is owned and operated by the City of Palo Alto as a program of the Division of Arts and Sciences, Department of Community Services.
More searches like this
- Accounting / Finance Arts / Culture / Humanities $70,000 - $99,999 Full Time jobs in Palo Alto
- Customer Service / Retail Arts / Culture / Humanities $70,000 - $99,999 Full Time jobs in Palo Alto
- Event Planning Arts / Culture / Humanities $70,000 - $99,999 Full Time jobs in Palo Alto
- Technology / Data Management Arts / Culture / Humanities $70,000 - $99,999 Full Time jobs in Palo Alto