Director of Development
- Position Type
- Full Time
Co-founded in 2005 by Robert Redford and his son James, The Redford Center draws on the family’s deep expertise in filmmaking and activism to produce, fund, and fiscally sponsor impact driven media projects that showcase stories of individuals taking action to protect and restore the planet for current and future generations. We are optimistic and hopeful in our storytelling approach. Our films and campaigns are designed to spark honest dialogue that engages new audiences in addressing frontline environmental issues. We are a small, nimble, mission-driven group that greatly values operational efficiency, creative resourcefulness, and happy, fulfilled team members.
The Redford Center is seeking an experienced Director of Development to build and execute development strategies, events and plans and spearhead all development efforts in support of the organization’s consistent achievement of its mission and goals. This individual will report to the Executive Director and work closely with her and the Board of Directors to service and grow our donor base and ensure that regular, effective communication occurs to support existing relationships and cultivate new ones. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in fundraising and development work, a solid track record in maintaining and growing individual, foundation and corporate gifts, and be well suited to work in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Develop and execute an annual fundraising plan, calendar and budget based on the organization’s current goals, as well as historical information.
- In the near term, build upon the success of 2017 “Year End Appeal” efforts and develop a more comprehensive and consistent plan going forward.
- Act as the primary liaison for all Redford Center donors and prospects and design and implement a communications plan to ensure timely, caring and consistent communication with them.
- Work closely with The Redford Center team to understand program goals and needs, and identify new ideas and opportunities for funding, including leveraging new, larger, and multi-year gifts and looking at new alliances, collaborations and partnerships.
- Establish and execute an effective cultivation plan for all prospects, including steps from the initial meeting through solicitation and follow-up. Work with the Executive Director to ensure steps are completed in a timely manner.
- Arrange for and prepare the Executive Director and Board of Directors (as needed) for cultivation and solicitation meetings. Attend as needed.
- Generate ideas for creative donor cultivation and fundraising events and lead the event production with support from The Redford Center staff.
- Identify and research new donor prospects on an ongoing basis.
- Manage donor records in the organization’s donor database, Daylite, and generate reports as needed.
- Minimum of 7 years of professional fundraising experience, including extensive knowledge in fundraising techniques and major gift fundraising.
- Team-oriented, with a collaborative and versatile working style - willingness to complete day-to-day tasks as well as high level strategic planning and idea generation.
- Exceptional attention to detail, interpersonal skills and writing skills.
- Proven ability to be a ‘self-starter’, initiating donor and fundraising calls/meetings as necessary.
- Experience with event planning and execution.
- Knowledge of/experience with donor databases.