- Experience Level
Position: Executive Director
Supervisor: Board of Directors
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Mountain Valley Developmental Services, Inc. (MVDS) exists to provide individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families with supports that promote skill acquisition, independence, and inclusion within the community which encompasses four counties. It serves roughly 125 adults and 350 children a year. Adult offerings include residential group homes, host homes, family caregivers, and apartment programs; day services, supported employment opportunities (both community based and in MVDS’ greenhouse and weaving studio), and community engagement. Case management and care coordination are provided for both adults and children aged birth to 3.
MVDS’ assets include a real estate portfolio of 20 residential and commercial properties. Those not in use by individuals served are rented to the larger community at fair market rates.
MVDS has historically been funded by government and quasi-governmental organizations. Moving forward, it seeks to enlist more support from individuals, foundations, and businesses and by partnering with similar community-based organizations. The transition from one-source to multi-source funding will require planning, networking and execution skills.
The Executive Director is responsible for setting the mission and vision of MVDS and defining its strategic direction, ensuring that resources are in place to accomplish important mission goals, recruiting and retaining staff, keeping teams motivated and capable of exceeding expectations, and building the kind of corporate culture which supports the MVDS mission.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors.
The Ideal Candidate
The Executive Director will set strategy and vision, build the MVDS culture, lead the senior team, and allocate capital and manage the real estate portfolio appropriately. Working with the Board, the Executive Director will set important goals for the organization and work systematically to meet them.
The Executive Director will make it a priority to define MVDS's priorities and direction. He or she will assess and evaluate strategies, decide how the organization will position itself for future success, and will hire teams, set budgets, forge alliances and build partnerships to further the mission. The Executive Director will play a formative role in building the culture of MVDS around community service, accountability and results so that the very best in the field find MVDS to be a solid professional home with ample opportunities for advancement and professional growth. The Executive Director will form and maintain relationships with state officials, work closely with the I/DD industry’s professional organizations, and advocate on behalf of MVDS and the individuals it serves at the federal, state, and local level. Finally, the Executive Director will actively promote MVDS to build its financial reserves and goodwill. He or she will secure resources, budget and allocate resources appropriately and hold him or herself accountable for the financial health of the organization.
The Executive Director will:
- Lead the mission and vision of the organization, along with the Board, so that MVDS clients receive high-quality services;
- Implement strategic plans, based on data-driven analytics, projections and financials;
- Manage MVDS's budget and ensure that it is a financially viable, sustainable organization with the resources to meet current and projected program growth;
- Ensure that MVDS is in compliance with relevant state and federal laws, regulations, and standard accounting procedures;
- Maintain a high-performing senior leadership team and play an active role in attracting, retaining and developing a best-in-class staff;
- Identify and implement cost-effective ways to deliver state-of-the-art programs to clients;
- Participate in identifying and cultivating corporate, individual and foundation sponsors;
- Cultivate excellent relationships with local media; provide oversight for MVDS's presence in the social media;
- Reach out to the community to present MVDS, its vision and services through public presentations and by attending relevant business events, conferences and gatherings;
- Serve as lead representative with government agencies and advocate for MVDS at the federal, state, and local level;
- Develop and work with the Board, ensuring that Board committees and efforts are well-organized and funded;
- Inform the Board regularly of external challenges and internal organization matters, including relevant staffing, funding and program success and priorities; and
- Effectively manage real estate portfolio.
Key Credentials and Personal Qualities
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field required. Prefer Master's Degree in Nonprofit Management, Business Administration, Finance, Economics or its equivalent.
- 5-10 years successful senior leadership experience for a non-profit with a $10m annual budget. 5 years in a leadership position with an I/DD or similar organization required.
- Senior level management experience for a diverse human services organization with 100 + employees.
- Commitment to results; “can-do" mindset with emphasis on accountability
- Proven track record of developing and maintaining effective relationships with regulatory agencies and law makers.
- Ability to think strategically and react effectively to a constantly changing environment.
- Emotional intelligence and experience diffusing complex emotional situations with families and staff of varying levels of sophistication.
- Strong motivational and staff leadership abilities.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Sense of humor, integrity, impeccable work ethic.
Interested candidates may apply online at www.mtnvalley.org. Applications should include a resume and thoughtful cover letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and how you heard about this search.
More searches like this
- Accounting / Finance Human Services $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Glenwood Springs
- Advocacy / Lobbying Human Services $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Glenwood Springs
- Development / Fundraising Human Services $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Glenwood Springs
- Executive / Senior Management Human Services $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Glenwood Springs
- Marketing / Communications Human Services $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Glenwood Springs